Raccoon repellent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd use the Have-a-Heart to keep it still so i could shoot it! Just kidding. We used to have a racoon as a pet when we were a kid in upstate N.Y.. We raised it on a bottle as my dad found it working on a tree crew. I guess they cut down the den tree. They are smart and have a lot of dexterity. It roamed free on the farm, and would come inside and have the run of the house. It finally grew up, and went away for the a couple of seasons but brought its mate back to the house. We heard him one night, and went outside and he and his mate (i assume anyway) ere up in a small mapel on the side lawn. He came down to some scraps, but the mate was wary and remained in the tree. We never saw them again after that.

On the flip side, we used to hunt them also, and getting one tangled up with a dog, can be bad for the dog especially if there is water nearby. They can get real nasty, so be careful

cass

Camp out and shoot it. If you try to relocate it, you're placing it where other coons already have a territory. From an ecological perspective, coons are one of the species that thrives at the edge of human habitation. As we have increased our human population, we have fragmented our forests, creating more edges and increasing our coon populations. It's a double whammy for species such as songbirds who need larger tracts of forest and who are predated on by coons. Coons eat a lot of eggs and chicks out of nests.

In other words, shoot the sucker AND feel good about it.

Not a fan of giving my problem to someone else, so my solution to a one time coon problem (killing our chickens), was a Hav-a-Heart trap then shoot to kill.
Very easy to dump from the trap into a predug hole in the woods.

Status
Not open for further replies.