Race For Fire!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lessoil

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2008
Western Maine
I have a time of 3 min from cold stove no pellets in burn pot to flame.
Anyone else??
Sound about right?
Oh, I do not have a HEMI!

That sounds about right, mine usually runs about 2 1/2 to 3 minutes from cold to flame. Depends on how much ash is in the firepot.

Jim,

You must have the turbo model... :cheese:

Mine takes about 15 seconds.
Handful into burnpot.
Torch until flames take on their own.
Close door.
Enjoy heat.
---Nailer---

Ok, challenge accepted...but I want to make a suggestion. Let's time it from the moment you push the start button to the time you have usable heat. I'll stop the timer when my room fan comes on Too warm tonight...tomorrow for sure! My guess is 10 minutes

Chan

With a clean stove, I always get best results from adding a handful of pellets in the burn pot before hitting the ignition.

The newer Enviro's with the pressure igniter system start pretty quick. This would be the multifuel units and the igniter acts like a torch. I haven't timed it But I usually see flames before the auger prime cycle is complete(Thats about 15 seconds). No torch required and it fires up 99.9% of the time even if the stove is extremely dirty. It has to have a full fire and make the POF in 5 minutes or you get the alarm blinkey lights on the control panel.

Just fired up my Whitfield- T300, and it was 3:58 from button to fire.

no igniter so i drop a handfull of pellets, slobber it up with some starter gel, use stick lighter slowly close door, wait 2-3 mins then kick on auger.

Both of our Whitfields are "old School" manual light type stoves.

Either one can be brought from Dead cold to having a working fire in under 5 minutes.

This is to the point that the I can walk away and the stove will be operational

1 Toss in a handful of pellets (use to start fire as the shells are messy to handle by the handful)

2 Turn on the draft fan

3 Stick the propane torch in to the burn pot and get the entire pile of pellets lit

4 Close the door and allow the inducer fan to get the fire very active.

5 Switch the fuel feed to on and select heat setting.

Done

Under 5 minutes with a clean stove

If I were to use the Jello fire starter it would take a bit longer.
The torch works great and without the mess and hastle of the Jello stuff

The Quadrafire will take about 3-4 minutes on a clean pot to light itself and have a working fire.

To have heat coming from the vent (fan on) can take some time longer as the room air fan is on a snap switch and it will not come on until the heat bonnet is up to temperature.

Sounds like most stove are fairly close with the time it takes to get going.

There are things I like about the auto lighter but I still prefer the manual stuff, makes me feel like I am building the camp fire, something to do to feel "self worth" :)

Snowy

from start of fire to heat coming out is 8 to 12mins

Quadrafire 1100 insert, About 4-5 min for fire. Another 10-12min for blower so from cold to producing heat 15-20 min.

2 min 8 sec for fire, 4 min 10 sec for igniter to turn off.

Status
Not open for further replies.