rack or no rack...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cammee

Nov 13, 2008
northern indiana
I'm burning with an old hutch rebel from my parents. We bought a rack to put it in and use but my Dad swears we aren't supposed to use one in it cause it's an airtight. He says we would get a much better fire without the rack in there, but I thought you always had to have the wood up off the florr of the stove in order for it to burn properly. It is lined with what looks like concrete pads on the floor and walls.
What do you all think? Rack or no rack?
Thanks for your help....

I'm not familiar with your particular stove. But as a caution, unless you KNOW FOR SURE that it is designed to allow for a rack I wouldn't do it. There is a chance of over fire with the added air circulation the rack would allow.

Some stove manuals specifically say no racks. Unless you find a manual for your stove and it says a rack is OK (or someone on this site is able to say for certain that it is allowable) don't do it.

cammee said:
I'm burning with an old hutch rebel from my parents. We bought a rack to put it in and use but my Dad swears we aren't supposed to use one in it cause it's an airtight. He says we would get a much better fire without the rack in there, but I thought you always had to have the wood up off the florr of the stove in order for it to burn properly. It is lined with what looks like concrete pads on the floor and walls.
What do you all think? Rack or no rack?
Thanks for your help....
I would listen to Dad! (or what engine rep said overfire can be bad news)

Just leave an inch or two of ashes in the bottom of the stove. (This is added insulation.) No need for a rack and the stove will probably work much better and you'll have more room for fuel.

I think the proper term is grate and EngineRep is spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.