1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Racoon in my wood pile

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Fiziksgeek, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Fiziksgeek

Fiziksgeek Member

Loc:
    Oxford, CT
    I have a cord+ stacked on my deck covered with a tarp. I move it up in the last month. A couple nights ago, the cat started going nuts at the door! Upon investigation, I found a friendly racoon. I banged on the door and he backed off a few feet. I cracked the door, and he ran up under the tarp covering my wood. This morning I went out. I hit the tarp with a broon stick, and once I convinced myself he wasn't there, I pulled back the tarp. Found a nice pile of racoon "gifts" in the middle of my stack. I am going to leave the tarp off for a while with the hopes of discouraging him to stay. Anything thing else you guys recommend?

photo (2).JPG

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Once in a while I see them or their tracks in backyard here in town.1/2 acre wooded lot with large old cottonwoods + other stuff behind apartment building 2 doors north of me.Old neighborhood with lots of mature trees.Long as they stay outta my garage I dont worry about it too much.

One evening June 2010 I seen a young one peeking out from behind one of my tarps.Wasnt even dark yet.It was pretty tame,didnt wait for me to finish putting cracked corn underneath the swing before it stayed close by to watch me.2 stacks have about a foot or so gap between them,covered with tarp.Pretty sure either an opossum or raccoon sleeps under there occasionally.Also the neighbor's cat when he spends most nights outside during spring,summer or early fall.

Attached Files:

albert1029 and PA Fire Bug like this.
  3. jatoxico

jatoxico Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    I have not used this personally but I've heard some ammonia keeps them out of the garbage. Maybe some in a spray bottle will discourage them.
  4. Uncle

Uncle Member

Loc:
    Jersey Shore
    I has a similar problem. I had about twenty raccoon "gifts" on a roof. I figured he was climbling up a rose of shannon tree so I put a sling around it and used a come along to bend the tree away from the house. No luck she still kept coming back

If I were you I would move the wood pile. IIRC the poop can become toxic after it drys out.
  5. WhitePine

WhitePine Feeling the Heat

Raccoon feces carry a deadly parasite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baylisascaris

Take a flamethrower (weed burner) to any leavings. Otherwise, do everything you can to discourage raccoons around your property, especially if you have kids.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  6. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Raccoons come up to my back door to visit , all the time ,they only hang for a few minutes ,no problems ,never seen any feces
  7. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    Apparently I have an undocumented Chipmunk in my stack behind the garage.
    Noticed I didn't have as many Jalapenos as I normally get out of the garden.
    Picked a few sticks out of the pile and I see something bright red - a hoard of my jalapenos ~40 of them tucked away for winter.
    I wonder if it's droppings will be toxic?
  8. WhitePine

WhitePine Feeling the Heat

Chipmunks are on our side!

[​IMG]
    albert1029 likes this.
  9. Tramontana

Tramontana Member

Loc:
    Wheat Ridge, Colorado
    My trouble are the dang red squirrels. They've already chewed through three strings of Christmas lights, and I haven't even had the formal lighting ceremony yet.

Cheers, and good luck with the coon.
  10. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    I took out 8 red squirrels on a 1 acre property this summer. They were way too many of them. Half were with rat traps, half with a pellet gun. The pellet gun was way more fun.

I'd be taking care of that raccoon also. There isn't anything good that can come of one that isn't afraid of people. A 220 conibear in a bucket will make real quick work of him. Make sure you check local regulations though. Some have specific ways you have to set the conibear so that a domestic dog doesn't get his neck snapped in one.

Matt
  11. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Daniel Boone comes to mind.
    Coon skin cap :)

When's trapping season?
    ScotO and cptoneleg like this.
  12. Standingdead

Standingdead Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Saratoga county, NY
    Raccoon ain't bad eatin ;)
    cptoneleg likes this.
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I have a .308 that works really nice and there are a few other tricks one can use. Some might frown on this but they quickly become so thick they are some of the worst pests we have. For those who grow any corn at all, they quickly learn to hate those critters. We dispose of 1-2 dozen of them every year and the neighbors do the same. Yes, there are that many around.

One of the worst things that happen are the idiots in towns who live trap them and bring them out to the country "where they won't do any harm." Of course with corn selling $7.00+ per bushel one can realize really quick what harm they can do. And on the feces, it can be one of the worst smells to get rid of. Rotten for sure.
    ScotO and cptoneleg like this.
  14. DaveGunter

DaveGunter Member

Loc:
    coastal maine
    Get
  15. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Live trapping is an odd thing to get ones head around. Why make it somebody elses problem? I'd prefer not to deal with live trapped animals. They all have teeth and I haven't met any too happy about being in a trap. I bring a .22 when I check footholds. I prefer a conibear.

Matt
    Backwoods Savage, ScotO and cptoneleg like this.
  16. cptoneleg

cptoneleg Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Virginia

Dennis I had to read all of these post before someone said anything that makes any Cents' Power to the Gun.
  17. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    I have seen this here and on other boards, what the heck does "IIRC" mean??
  18. jatoxico

jatoxico Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island NY
    We have a dingbat around the corner that feeds them, people can be really dumb.
    ScotO likes this.
  19. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    If I Remember Correctly
  20. KaptJaq

KaptJaq Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    If I recall correctly.
  21. weatherguy

Loc:
    Central Mass
    If you see a chipmunk with flames coming out his azz, you know which one it is :eek:
    basod, ditchrider and ScotO like this.
  22. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I always worry about the woodpile cat. She doesn't know she isn't eight feet tall and bullet proof. But more than once I have seen her back down a coon while I was waiting patiently to shoot the damn thing if it took her on. Inside the tree line is her turf. No visitors allowed. They pretty much don't come around anymore.
  23. weatherguy

Loc:
    Central Mass
    I had 5 possums on my deck the other night, turns out my wife left some cat food out by accident :mad: She wont do that again, the next two nights they came back looking for their snack, I let my dog out and they scattered, she had one hanging from a skinny branch upside down with her barking up a storm, they havent been back since.
  24. blacktail

blacktail Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western WA
    A live trap lets you release the neighbor's cat unharmed. A .22 barrel will fit through the wire of the trap and make them easier to let out.
    f3cbboy and ScotO like this.
  25. blacktail

blacktail Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western WA
    I used to have neighbors that fed the damn things. The racoons weren't afraid of people which made it easy to hit them with a shot of pepper spray when they came up on the porch.
    In my new neighborhood, a .410 seems to be the deterrent of choice.
    ditchrider and ScotO like this.