Rad panels and low temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chewy

Nov 7, 2009
Indiana
Hello all

I was wondering if anyone has any experience building panel radiators? Also if someone would explain low temp radiant heating to me?

Ty in advance
Chewy

Most panel rads are a stamped sheet metal construction. If you have the tools available to make some "water tight" sheet metal boxes, give it a try. Some designs have passage ways for air movement so you get radiant and convective heat transfer.

I'm not sure there is an exact definition for low temperature radiant. To me, low temperature would be supply temperatures below 120F. At that temperature range solar and geo sources could be used. Also condensing boilers are most efficient when return temperatures are below the fuels dew point. So 120F is a sweet spot to operate a mod con boiler.

hr

Ty for the reply

If you use your storage down to 120, then how do you address the issue with condensation in the boiler on the refire?

Ty
Chewy

Preventing condensation in the boiler or stack when there is low temperature boiler return water is dealt with by a boiler return water protection scheme, which may be a valve of various types or a circulator of various methods of operation. Search "boiler return water protection" or similar and you will find many discussions on this topic.

chewy said:
Ty for the reply

If you use your storage down to 120, then how do you address the issue with condensation in the boiler on the refire?

Ty
Chewy

You can keep the water temperature of your storage tank at 160 or 180 and bring the water down for the radiator loops to 120F or the temp you want by means of a mixing valve.
This is done for radiant floor heating also.

chewy said:
Hello all

I was wondering if anyone has any experience building panel radiators? Also if someone would explain low temp radiant heating to me?

Ty in advance
Chewy

I drive a truck for a living. Layman at best. Low temp radiant heat? More surface that you heat thru. i.e my radiant floor(the whole floor) vs a set of baseboards. More surface area to provide heat, the less temp of boiler water.

Status
Not open for further replies.