Radiant barrier in a fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karl

Minister of Fire
Apr 9, 2007
Huntington, West Virginia
I had a little thread going in the DIY forum about insulaion duct work with a radiant barrier. This got me to reseach radiant barriers. There are four types I have found. Radiant bubble wrap for duct work and other places, Radiant foil, just like the bubble stuff but without the bubbles, radiant foil chips, they can be blown in and are impervious to dust degrading there effieiceny and radiant paint, not quite as efficient as the foil and bubbles, but pretty cheap and much quicker to install.

This got me to thinking. I plan to install rock wool around my insert this fall. This will stop convective heat from escaping through the chimney but like fiberglass, and blown in cellulose, it does next to nothing to stop radiant heat movement. Since there's not much airflow, if any around the sides and back of the insert, the rockwool will not do whole lot. I know some people on here swear by it and not doing alot is still miuch better than not doing anything.

My idea/question is what do you think about putting a radiant heat barrier? I don't think the plastic bublle wrap will work, nor do I think the mylar foil will work. The blown in chips isn't meant for vertical surfaces. I'm going to check with the manufacturer and see how much heat these things will take. It's possible that the rockwool then a small airgap and the foil barrier will work. I'm also going to check with Sherwin Wiliams about their radiant paint barriers.

Has anyone thought about using something like this in a fireplace? It seems to me that all of the heat coming out of an insert, other than what comes out from the blower is radiant heat and this would be a good way to go.

What are your thoughts on this?

Bro, no offense, but sounds like your trying to build a better mouse trap.
Make sure PE is ok with you wrapping the insert.

I'm not going to really wrap the insert. Alot of people on here use rockwool along with a block off plate. The also place rockwool behind and beside the insert. They all see good benefits without any problems. I just want to take it one step further, so I don't loose all that heat to the outside. On side of my chimeny is an exterior wall. I don't see how it would hurt the insert as long as I don't over fire it. I should be able to burn it at a lower setting with the same firebox temperature and use less wood.

This could be a good idea. Everybody reccomends a block off plate. Alot of people reccomend rock wool above the block off plate. It you could just paint the block off plate and get better results it would be easier for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.