Radiant Baseboard

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

loggie

Feb 24, 2008
neast
I was online looking for an option to add more heat in my living room because the staple up radiant cannot push enough heat even with plates and a 140 deg water temp ,High ceiling big windows I came across these radiant baseboards 5 1/2 " high and only 1" thick they are almost unnoticeable and work on the radiant princeable. Has anyone installed these here? They seem like a good way to add some heat to a room when the radiant cant keep up I found them at hydronicalternatives.com

loggie said:
,High ceiling big windows

It's called a Great Room.

Use a fireplace. Wood, gas, pellet or nuclear. :cheese:

Hi loggie,

sounds like a good solution. I would also look at a panel radiator option. These can be had with an integrated thermostat and will work at much lower temperatures than the baseboards you describe. They are much larger, however. I would set them up as a separate zone and set the integrated thermostat a few degrees cooler than the thermostat controlling the radiant floor so that they only kick in when the floor can't keep up. I believe the Switzer has integrated storage(?) so being able to run the rads at lower temperatures will make your stored heat last longer - or, better said, your stored heat is useful for longer.

loggie said:
I was online looking for an option to add more heat in my living room because the staple up radiant cannot push enough heat even with plates and a 140 deg water temp ,High ceiling big windows I came across these radiant baseboards 5 1/2 " high and only 1" thick they are almost unnoticeable and work on the radiant princeable. Has anyone installed these here? They seem like a good way to add some heat to a room when the radiant cant keep up I found them at hydronicalternatives.com

I recall seeing those, and they look really appealing since they blend in so well, but I recall also finding out that their actual heat output is rather limited, since they have very small surface area.

These seem like they're pretty effective, and you might not need to put in a full perimeter:

http://www.smithsenvironmental.com/html/he_conv.html

Or, what about some nice looking old-time cast iron radiators?

http://www.thermaskirt.com

This site gives a bit more information, just a couple of points:

They are designed to work on low temperature water.

They are not likely to be practical in high heat loss situations. The ones above can be stacked.

In the US context probably looking at areas with low heating demand or very good insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.