Radiant heat options?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

R. Snyder

Mar 7, 2014
South Bend, IN
Greetings,
I hope everyone is doing well and staying warm. I have a question about options for in-floor radiant heat. I have a Garn 2000 and currently just use water to air heat exchanger in a building on our farm. We only maintain a 40deg. temp. as we store produce. Not wanting to replace concrete floors has anyone incorporated radiant into a wall built of say brick, cinder blocks, or stone? Just thinking of being able to lower the useable temps out of storage. Thank you for any replies.
Richard

How expensive would making your own panels with iron pipe? They could be as big as you want.

There are a lot of low temp radiant heaters on the market if you want to buy something. There is also the option of putting radiant in the wall or the ceiling.

Last edited:
I always thought that 1/2" pex would sit nicely in the grooves of pole barn steel. you could make a nice easy radiant wall that way. just watch the edges. make a cover for the ends where the pipes have to do a U turn, and they'd be 9" on center with nearly no resistance to heat transfer to the space. It's on my short list to do for a future shop space.
you could do it on a ceiling too, although it'd be more difficult. and you could put it over a sheet of foam to give it a little more insulation value.

Reactions: rkusek
I always thought that 1/2" pex would sit nicely in the grooves of pole barn steel. you could make a nice easy radiant wall that way. just watch the edges. make a cover for the ends where the pipes have to do a U turn, and they'd be 9" on center with nearly no resistance to heat transfer to the space. It's on my short list to do for a future shop space.
you could do it on a ceiling too, although it'd be more difficult. and you could put it over a sheet of foam to give it a little more insulation value.

Whoah - I like that idea. A lot.

I did a house many years ago , radiant in the walls behind the rock, worked great , the only downside mentioned was creaky aluminum when the pipes first heated up..One other thing, careful with those Sheetrock screws..

I took a radiant course last year and wall and celling radiant was highly rated. Obviously there has to be good installation on the backside of the radiant tubing. Unfortunately radiant panels on walls tend to be obstructed by furniture while radiant in a ceiling is far more likely not to be obstructed.

heck, you could do 3' wide pre-fab panels and use them for whatever you need. install them on a shop wall, or on a ceiling, or whatever. I have a shop space right now that I can't do anything permanent (wife would kill me if I defaced the barn) this is what it looks like now. but something I could hang from the ceiling and then remove later might be an option. gotta run the numbers.

Attachments

• 20151213_114401.jpg
    20151213_114401.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 182
Reactions: JohnDolz
That's some barn, I don't blame your wife..the temp panels are a nice idea, just make something small enough to easily handle, hang then from the cieling, use pex, stick a feed and return out the side of each panel, after you hang them, just connect the series together..just remember, they will get heavier when you fill them with water..

Status
Not open for further replies.