Radiant heating design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emesine

Apr 24, 2009
Indiana
I am thinking of installing a wood gun, but I'd like to add storage at some point. I am building new construction, so there are no limitations on tank sizing, etc. I will probably start with a wood gun only, then add storage at some point in the future. I have two questions:

1. Will a wood gun be damaged by allowing cooler water (110 degree water coming in from my radiant flooring) to enter the boiler? I have read posts on avoiding the "condensation temperature." The wood gun is SS, so I imagine condensation is no problem.

2. How do I add non-pressurized storage to the plan? I am not sure how to rig things such that the wood gun works while it is firing, but the storage takes over as soon as the wood gun shuts down.

Thanks!

P.S. Depending on how complicated this gets, I might just put in a GARN!!

emesine said:
I am thinking of installing a wood gun, but I'd like to add storage at some point. I am building new construction, so there are no limitations on tank sizing, etc. I will probably start with a wood gun only, then add storage at some point in the future. I have two questions:

1. Will a wood gun be damaged by allowing cooler water (110 degree water coming in from my radiant flooring) to enter the boiler? I have read posts on avoiding the "condensation temperature." The wood gun is SS, so I imagine condensation is no problem.

2. How do I add non-pressurized storage to the plan? I am not sure how to rig things such that the wood gun works while it is firing, but the storage takes over as soon as the wood gun shuts down.

Thanks!

P.S. Depending on how complicated this gets, I might just put in a GARN!!

I'm going to address the 1st question as to cooler water. I have never used nor see in use a Wood Gun so this is based on observations of a EKO which is also a down draft boiler. Mine works best when you can keep the temps up and burning hot. Mine likes to stay in the 160 to 170 range and really likes the 180's. For this reason I would put in boiler protection as this will not allow the boiler to fill with "cool" water but instead keep it steady and hot. It takes quite abit of heat to keep the gasification going well and if you dumped it full of 110 degree water it may cool it down quite a bit and take a while to get really cranking again.

Status
Not open for further replies.