Radiant Manifold Location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnxtreme

Jan 22, 2007
Can anyone tell me where the radiant tubing manifold should be in relation to the wood boiler, close, far, how far ETC. Etc. whats the pros conns of the proximity to the boiler. Hope someone can help, running tubes tommorrow, I know, why not wait to the last minute!

Mine runs from the heating loop manifold the length of the house and back. My first floor has three loops off of this manifold. The best thing is to have the manifold centrally located and close to the boiler if possible. The more important thing is that the loops off of the manifold are not each too long. That way each loop gets the heat at the same time and there is still heat to transfer at the end of the loop. I hope that helps.

It all depends on your setup, you need a spot where your heat loops can all get to, to hook up to the manifold...So if you had your pipe from the boiler go long to the manifold, or ran your pex long to the boiler.. the difference can't be much, except it'd be easier to insulate the boiler loop than all the long floor loops. I have 2 systems side by side, one for retro and one for warmboard. with about an 8 ft primary loop from the boiler feeding both of them.
Loop size-- No heating loops over 150'. was what I remember from my install.

Status
Not open for further replies.