Radiant tubing & Manifold

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shagbark

Sep 29, 2008
south central, ky
Desicions Desicions. I need to buy my tubing for in slab radiant heat and also a manifold. There are so many different types and so many different prices. Anyone have any good advice that is based on experience. Thanks in advance for your awnsers.

from what I have read here on the hearth watch out for pexsupply, they are backordered quite often and don't seem to be able to ship large orders together.

I have a Zurn manifold and it was the one item in my system where I spared no expense. When pressure testing there were lots of small leaks at the threaded components. Straight threads should have o-rings not tape. The large ball valves don't shut off very well. It's fancy looking but next time I'd just get the plain copper manifolds and crimp the pex. On the plus side, it is in place and still functioning at 5 years. The little flow gauges are nice, don't know if they can be purchased individually.

I ended up with 3 different brands of manifolds in my system.

the first one I bought was 3 years ago when I poured the slab and didn't know a thing about radiant systems, but I needed to buy something that I knew would work. It's a Wirsbo. Top of the line, but over priced. Don't waste your $ on the electronic flow meter doohickies if you buy a Wirsbo manifold. You need an extra gadget to monitor flow. Good stuff, but seems overpriced - especially when you go to buy extra fittings, etc. Back then, I bought Wirsbo tubing too. Works great, but costs a little more. I bought the odd ball size of 5/8", which caused minimal problems but I would recommend sticking with a common size like 1/2".

the next two manifolds I bought were Mr. Pex. These are very similar to Wirsbo, but they cut corners where they can to save on price. (some of the fittings are plated metal instead of solid brass). I love their flow meters/flow adjusters. If you plan to zone the loops separately (using a single manifold), you need a unit like this (or the pricier Wirsbo). I used 1/2" pex (Mr. Pex brand I think) for these loops.

the fourth manifold I put in my system is simply a copper manifold with ball valves and crimp fittings. I needed to tie 7 loops together in one zone. (so actually I bought a 3 loop manifold and a 4 loop manifold and soldered them inline together) I used a single Taco EBZ zone valve for that manifold. At this point, I knew what I needed and didn't want to pay $ for what I didn't need.

Summary, try not to buy more than you need. If you have $ to throw at the problem, buy Wirsbo and you won't be disappointed. Whatever brand of tubing you buy, make sure it has an O2 barrier.

My system is up and running (great) as of last week!

Good luck on your search. I bought all of this from Pex Supply and did not experience the problems that others report having.

I have a new construction project and ran about 7000 feet of 1/2" o2 barrier pex that I bought off a distributor I found on ebay for .21 cents/ft. The product was made in china and said to be compatible with wirsbo fittings. To date, I have run all pex w/ no issues. Fittings were no issue either. I just finished installing 7 manifolds which I went with Zurn. When it came to these "upper end" manifolds, these were the best priced I could find. I unfortunatly can not tell you how much I like either of these products as I am still probably 2 weeks from first fire. Good luck!

I've worked with Zurn and Mr. Pex tubing. The Zurn isn't as flexible but that shouldn't be a problem with slab runs.

I installed Mr. Pex manifolds but I'm still about 2 weeks away from using them too. Zurn had problems with metal fittings, I hope their manifolds don't have the same issues.

I just finished helping my brother put in the radiant tubes for his shop last weekend. I put 12 250' rolls of 1/2" in a 40'x80' building. I used 2-6 opening manifolds. I got everything from Menards, which is like Lowes or Home Depot. I know the rolls were about $70 each. I think the total was under $2000.

djblech
Greenwood 100
Stihl 170 and 360
kioti dk45 and dump trailer
120 acres woods 3 miles from home

Status
Not open for further replies.