Radioactive wood pellets recalled

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
packerfan said:

Just saw it. Makes one wonder how the pellets became contaminated.

"The results showed that they contained caesium 137, a highly toxic radioactive substance normally produced by a nuclear explosion or from the combustion of a nuclear reactor."

I once had a dumpster load of scrap metal rejected at the scrap yard because it set off the radiation detector. They sent out a worker with a hand held geiger counter and we found an old military issue compass with a glow in the dark needle in the load which set it off. Removed the compass from the load and it went through the detector, no problem. The scrap yard worker said that alot of old military stuff comes in that sets the radiation detector off as well as people who have had chemotherapy.

Sounds to me like Italians are buying their pellets from North Korea. :wow:

Some quick wiki search info, don't buy any wood products from the Chernobyl area.

Rad facts link

BJN644 said:
Some quick wiki search info, don't buy any wood products from the Chernobyl area.

Rad facts link

Well damn. I have to cancel that three cord delivery. >:-(

I was looking forward to the stove starting to glow without me even lighting the fire.

And with a half life of 30 years it can be passed on for generations to come.

So if you fill up the hopper you do not need to light the stove, just live the hopper open..........

Eric

beaconpcs said:
Don't let the EPA find out. They will start requiring permits to buy pellets!
Greg

Or set chimney radiation emission levels and require testing.

WANDERING NAMELESSLEE said:
I once had a dumpster load of scrap metal rejected at the scrap yard because it set off the radiation detector. They sent out a worker with a hand held geiger counter and we found an old military issue compass with a glow in the dark needle in the load which set it off. Removed the compass from the load and it went through the detector, no problem. The scrap yard worker said that alot of old military stuff comes in that sets the radiation detector off as well as people who have had chemotherapy.

actually the "glowing" element in the compass is likely Tritium, which is actually quite pricy and is also used in some high end watches in extremely small quantities, if i remember right it has a half life of 11 years or so , but i could be wrong , been a while since i looked that up(not somthing i need to know every day)

There is all sorts of stuff you use every day that is radio active and sets off those monitors. A load of crused stone and especially grinding wheels will often as well . It's all over the place out there and always was. I doubt I would want a lot of it burning in a stove though.

rhag1128 said:
The glowing hands on compasses and watches of that era is from Radium, H3 doesn't glow unless exposed to ionizing radiation and Cs does not glow at all.

I once worked at a old Watch Factory in Waltham Ma...home of the old Waltham Watch.
A lot of workers died painting the dials of those clocks with the nasty Radium paint. The people would actually lick and twist the brush in their mouths to get it to a fine point so they could allpy the tpaint to the dial faces!
The government came in and eventually shut it down...but they never found the toxic paint.
Anytime we would do any construction in the place...we always expected to find the nasty paint behind a fake wall.
On a side note...in the sub basement of the Watch factory was a fallout shelter for a clock. Before the atomic clock...they used to have standard time pieces to keep time...and one was in Waltham...save the clock...screw the workers!

SparkyDog said:
rhag1128 said:
The glowing hands on compasses and watches of that era is from Radium, H3 doesn't glow unless exposed to ionizing radiation and Cs does not glow at all.

I once worked at a old Watch Factory in Waltham Ma...home of the old Waltham Watch.
A lot of workers died painting the dials of those clocks with the nasty Radium paint. The people would actually lick and twist the brush in their mouths to get it to a fine point so they could allpy the tpaint to the dial faces!
The government came in and eventually shut it down...but they never found the toxic paint.
Anytime we would do any construction in the place...we always expected to find the nasty paint behind a fake wall.
On a side note...in the sub basement of the Watch factory was a fallout shelter for a clock. Before the atomic clock...they used to have standard time pieces to keep time...and one was in Waltham...save the clock...screw the workers!

That isn't the place they had the piece on Discovery or History channel a few years back was it? The place that is all blocked up and no one can build anything on even today because it is still so hot. That was one sad place to work. It is hard to believe anybody can be so nasty and oblivious as not to notice how that stuff was affecting everyone, pretty sad but of history no doubt being played out right now in China and India with other substances.

Driz said:
SparkyDog said:
rhag1128 said:

That isn't the place they had the piece on Discovery or History channel a few years back was it? The place that is all blocked up and no one can build anything on even today because it is still so hot. That was one sad place to work. It is hard to believe anybody can be so nasty and oblivious as not to notice how that stuff was affecting everyone, pretty sad but of history no doubt being played out right now in China and India with other substances.

i don't know...
But it is on the National Historic Building site.
here is a little on the history of the plant

is quite old
http://www.antique-pocket-watch.com/waltham-pocket-watch-company.html

my dad worked in that building for a while, it is right on the bank of the charles and has a solar observatory in one end (to set the clocks and check acuracy) that still was there(?). Then the company got bought and the new owners changed a lot of things.
the biggest and most dangerous source of radiation around rises and sets everyday, it is also responsable for seasonal climate changes and global climate changes, Just lay out on the beach for a day and you will see the effects of this massive continuous fusion reactor.

Status
Not open for further replies.