Rail Splitting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CJRages

Oct 20, 2009
Mid Missouri
Does anyone split their rounds by laying them down horizontally then smashing through the bark from above with you favorite splitter? I noticed that this works fairly well for stringy stuff like elm/sycamore using the Fiskars SS. Is this kind of dangerous or a bad idea?

It's really fun by the way!

steel toe boots and catcher shin gaurds and goforit!

I have done it. My results have been find of mixed, but sometimes it is the only way to split a tough piece. I think smokinjay has done it too, and his advice about gear is good. The whole operation seem less stable than splitting the normal way.

Not recommended but will work if you are careful. I've not done it and probably won't.

Status
Not open for further replies.