Rail system for pool table/small room?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
I'm redoing my basement. I really want a pool table. I don't have room for it. I know this. One of the big issues is 2 support beams in the way--but the space that I want to put it is too small anyway. I've been thinking about putting the table on some sort of rail system that would allow the table to move a foot or so sideways in either direction. That would allow me to have a good shot from any position on the table. Gearing it correctly with a hand crank or small electric motor would allow it to have very fine movement without disrupting the balls. For some reason, I can't find ANY information on anything remotely like this. I can't be the first to think of this, so why doesn't it exist already? I don't see why it wouldn't work, or at least be a better solution than having too small a space. Any thoughts on the best way to construct something like this?

Linear guides that would support a pool table would likely cost more than the pool table. And to throw in a drive mechanism would be even more pricey! I'm not sure what you're looking to do is entirely feasible for less than a small fortune but if you're going to give it a go I might suggest you look into some high quality locking casters. These will be substantially less expensive than a rail/drive system.

And if the floor is uneven, you could make a smooth path for the casters to roll on. It would have to be leveled, also.

I have a big heavy saw station that rolls on casters. I use these to lock it in place when working. Maybe something like this would work of your pool table.
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-3028&catname=

p1-3028C.jpg

And if the floor is uneven, you could make a smooth path for the casters to roll on. It would have to be leveled, also.

Perfectly. It have have to be absolutely perfectly level for the balls to not move. Seems very impractical.
I suggest reinforcing the structure so as to be able to remove the posts.

set the pool table on a turntable and spin it. set it towards the back of the room and shoot from the same area. spin the table as needed to get the shot angle towards the open area.much easier than making an X-Y axis moving table

A steel I-beam to support the structure without the posts would probably be cheaper than any slide system strong and smooth enough for a pool table to move without disturbing the balls.

There was a thread here a few days ago about a small apartment that had moveable walls on a track system in the floor.

All I can think of is this Seinfeld episode:

Sorry couldn't embed video.

Just take your chain saw to the Cue sticks, you'll have plenty of room!!!:oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.