Rain and Wind = Firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Actually I hope this stays east of us but if we get hit I'll take some beech blow down! :vampire:

zap

Attachments

• 400x266_10131636_backsideimpact.jpg
    400x266_10131636_backsideimpact.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 498
I wonder how much faster wood dries when its blowing 50 mph?

SolarAndWood said:
I wonder how much faster wood dries when its blowing 50 mph?

I'm not sure but it sure is nice, been burning some three year old cherry that has been in the wind and sun for three months after being stacked in the woods. (Nice)

zap

wood dope said:
It depends on it's direction.

Our stacks are on the north & east side of the house with the prevailing wind coming from the west, the wood is stacked north - south so the face of the stacks get the wind and sun.

zap

Zap, we too hope it stays out east.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, we too hope it stays out east.

You have a low out your way that is coming our way which might give us snow for next week, please keep that! ;-)

We might have some snow this week or it could go south of us, last year the first snow fell on Dec 10. if I remember from looking at the pictures the other night.

zap

Attachments

• 400x266_10141637_snowfall.jpg
    400x266_10141637_snowfall.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 352
We've put the snow on hold for a while yet so it will just pass over us and head your way to dump all of it.

It seems that this year every rainstorm brings 50mph winds. weird.

jharkin said:
It seems that this year every rainstorm brings 50mph winds. weird.

Last winter we lucked out, every storm went north or south of us and the same for the wind storms this summer. We will see what this winter brings.

zap

I have about a cord of wood from our last big storm, most of it in my backyard. I have about another 1 - 1 1/2 cord to go cut tomorrow at work. Apparently the boss dose not like the look of the a few leaners near an access road. Free firewood while I work. Love my job.

This could bring the first snow fall for the higher elevations in SoVT. I'm pretty excited. :coolsmile:

Skier76 said:
This could bring the first snow fall for the higher elevations in SoVT. I'm pretty excited. :coolsmile:

I need to stack more wood so a couple more weekends would be nice without snow.

zap

Good luck with that. Our roof was covered with ice when we woke up Sunday morning. It would be nice if we got a month or two of frozen ground without snow pack though.

SolarAndWood said:
Good luck with that. Our roof was covered with ice when we woke up Sunday morning. It would be nice if we got a month or two of frozen ground without snow pack though.

I'm setting up 2-3 more stacking areas this weekend which will give us room for 16-18 more face cords.

zap

6 more cord before the snow flies? I love your ambition.

SolarAndWood said:
6 more cord before the snow flies? I love your ambition.

No, I would be happy with 6 face cord.

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.