Rain Caps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
I know the rain caps keep the rain out of the chimney. So what would if I take the cap off in winter? and replace in when not in use. Would that help to stop creosote/soot build up .I have a cap with no screens kinda just crown piece of metal. Has anyone tried it without a cap? Thanks Frank

I wouldn't run without a cap. Other "stuff" can fall in there besides rain, leaves, twigs, maybe even a bird.

In terms of reducing cresote here is my understanding... just a newbie so someone correct me if I'm wrong. The reason cresote builds up the most at the end of the chimney is a result of 2 factors. One the chimney is outside, so there's naturally going to be more cresote in the cooler portion of the chimney vs. the portion of the chimney in the house. Two, wind blows across the top of the chimney. Think of blowing across a glass bottle to make the "whooooo" sound. Same thing happening outside. The cold air is mixing right at the exit of the chimney, thus the last 6-12 inches are going to be the coolest portion of the chimney and hence the most susceptible to cresote development. I doubt removal of the cap would have a positive benefit in reducing cresote.

-Kevin

"Has anyone tried it without a cap?"

yes. millions of people over many hundereds of years, many of those chimneys are still aroound and in service.

I never had chimney caps for thirty years until I installed the liners. I guess the only reason I installed them with the liners was that they came with the kits. The damned caps are the only thing collecting creosote up there on mine. The pipes are clean right to the top.

In thirty years I never found a leaf, twig, bird, 747 or anything else in my chimneys without caps. The only reason I can think of for having one is to keep rain from running down the liners into the stove.

BrotherBart said:
I never had chimney caps for thirty years until I installed the liners. I guess the only reason I installed them with the liners was that they came with the kits. The damned caps are the only thing collecting creosote up there on mine. The pipes are clean right to the top.

In thirty years I never found a leaf, twig, bird, 747 or anything else in my chimneys without caps. The only reason I can think of for having one is to keep rain from running down the liners into the stove.

747... I like that, LOL.

-Kevin

I never had a cap on with the open fireplace. About the worst thing that ever happened was the smell in the room if I forgot to close the damper and it rained.

Just like BB's experience, no 747's. Did have to open the glass doors once in December to let a fat guy in a red suite with a bag of goodies out of the fireplace. ;-)

I did install one with the new insert. I wanted to keep the rain from entering the liner and then the steel insert.

When I was a kid, we had a summer cottage that had a fireplace. For many years we didn't have a cap on it. However one year we came to open the place up and found it TRASHED... All the chachkies along the windows and mantel were knocked off, and the place looked like it had been whitewashed. Eventually we found the source - a DUCK had apparently fallen down the chimney, then trashed the place trying to find its way out!

Never knew one bird could leave so much chit....

After that, part of the winter close-up drill was to go up on the roof and plug the top of the chimney, and leave a sign on the fireplace that it was blocked.

Gooserider

Growing up we had a double-wide, double-flue fireplace with no caps. For several years a family (or families) of raccoons lived in one of the flues. Luckily for all of us it wasn't the one with the insert.

My Lopi is chugging along right now through a 12x12" clay chimney without a cap. The chimney is 40 years old. One inch of rainfall means 1/12 of a cubic foot of water down the pipe and that's nearly half a gallon if I remember my conversions.

No caps on my chimney flues for 30+ years. But last year the oil burner quit working, and the tech found a dead owl at the bottom of the flue.

My parents neighbor had no cap on the flue for their fireplace........came home from a weeks vacation to a dead duck in the house and a whole lot of ducky doo doo all over everything! Quite a mess from what I understand. They now have a chimney cap.............

Our chimney was built in 1962 and hasn't had a cap on it at anytime. I do have to replace the last tile because it has been broke over the years. One thing I wondered with a clay liner is.. If I keep a fire in the chimney through winter, the water can't freeze and expanding breaking the top of the liner right? The only thing I can think of that has ate away at the very top is the water entering the cracks and freezing. Of course rods don't help the situation with the very top liner. Anyone know what it would cost roughly to replace the last tile? Its maybe a 2 or 3 foot section, 8x12. Is it something I could do myself?

kind of on topic (humerous in a way too) had a call come in to our center a woman who had a prefab chimney up the side of her house suddenly started having draft issues, our tech (wasnt me) started asking questions, after a few minutes he found his answer, chimney did not have a cap, and rain had gotten into the flue and puddled in the cleanout tee, she went to look up her flue before putting the unit in use, popped the cap off and found this water , so instead of putting on a cap , she drilled several holes in the bottom of her cleanout tee to let the water drain. instant draft issue.we suggesteed she replace the cleanout cap and install a rain cap on her flue.

None of the brickwork is loose on the chimney. None of the tiles are cracked or busted, its a very sound chimney. It drafts well and I have no problem with creasote buildup. I'm sure there is no code for the chimney, just dont run 2 appliances in the same chimney. I can't see spending the money on a liner when everything works as it should and is sound. Its just the last tile needs replaced.

laynes69 said:
None of the brickwork is loose on the chimney. None of the tiles are cracked or busted, its a very sound chimney. It drafts well and I have no problem with creasote buildup. I'm sure there is no code for the chimney, just dont run 2 appliances in the same chimney. I can't see spending the money on a liner when everything works as it should and is sound. Its just the last tile needs replaced.

shoot a picture of so I can determine its condition I a few cracks there is not all that uncommmon. It may not even need replacement for quite some time Also that is the least criticle area of danger. no chimney fires start up top not enough heat left to ignite anything. And yes it is possible just to replace the last length If you examine the area closer the concrete crown probably has formed a hair line crack or space around you clay flues This is where water has entered the danage is done behind the flue not from inside as many think..

Rain cap more important than the cap is the chimney crown condition and enough pitch to shead water away from the flues.

The question was how do the rain caps effect draft well picture a collume of air rising and wants to continue rising but it obstructed by the cap the verticle momentum has been stopped and deflected toa ladderal movement.. The Damn cap screws up your draft saved a lot of typing and explaining aye

I'll try to get a pic. What I was worried about was the crown, because if that tile is eaten away at the very top, water could get behind it. Im not exactly sure what is brought in to build a chimney, but I want my crown in good shape to keep the chimney in good shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.