Rain coming in selkirk pipe from rooftop

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sappy

Jan 30, 2011
Vermont upper valley
I have a new pipe application for my woodstove.here is the problem. When there is a hard rain, we have noticed water coming down the side of my doublwall pipe in my house and unto the mantle. Sweep has done a good job in setting this up and it is thouroughly cocked and sealed. It has a cap and there is no water in middle of pipe-bone dry. When looking under the circler skirt toward the botten of pipe, I notice that the ventng that has the holes for pipe cooling under that shield is no more than an inch and a half to two inches under that guard. This pipe is rite on my gable end on a ranch in a valley with mts on both sides in the distance. Do you think this is where my rain is coming in under that circler rain guard? There are tons of these applications in my area. First I heard of water coming in when everything from job seems good. Welcome any comments, perhaps have seen something similar.

This comes up annually, so hopefully we can help. I had a similiar issue with a new install, and it turns out that the installer only caulked half of the vertical seam on the last run of Class A outside the house. Water would run down the vertical seam, collect in the support box, then drip onto the stove. Once the weather broke, the installer finished the bead up the seam on the Class A, and we've been leak free for 3 years. It's a good place to start, so check it out.

have seen issues with that selkirk flashing, my opinon the slits for air is a poor design and the storm collar isn't wide enough. A driving rain will push water up the boot and into those air vents. I've seen on a shallow pitch roof with a hard rain water will splash up and run into the slits. One thing that will help is to run a real heavy bead of silicone on the boot itself, just below those vent slits, that way if wind is pushing water up the boot, it will hit the bead & turn if the volume of water & wind isn't too severe

Good luck with this and keep us posted on finding a fix. I have a Selkirk pipe which I've been fighting this issue for probably 15 years. Yes, I've caulked the vertical seams, yes the pipe junctions, yes everywhere it is humanly possible to consider. It still leaks and I have to put a plastic bucket atop my stove during rain to catch the drips. I have stuck so much silicone in places I even once spent an entire day removing it all and starting over. Still leaks. Does not have to be a hard rain, either.

SteveKG said:
Good luck with this and keep us posted on finding a fix. I have a Selkirk pipe which I've been fighting this issue for probably 15 years. Yes, I've caulked the vertical seams, yes the pipe junctions, yes everywhere it is humanly possible to consider. It still leaks and I have to put a plastic bucket atop my stove during rain to catch the drips. I have stuck so much silicone in places I even once spent an entire day removing it all and staring over. Still leaks. Does not have to be a hard rain, either.
Wow, that is pretty strange. I have Selkirk pipe and had a few small drips coming down the outside of the Class A in the attic. I did caulk the vertical seam and at the same time put the correct cap on (dealer gave me a temp cap since my cap was back ordered) Leak stopped....so I am not sure which it was, the cap or the seam. Sounds like you have checked about everything though. Just checking, are you sure the actual roof flashing around the pipe is correct. That is where I would look next if you haven't. Good luck to both of you. Steve

I have supervent pipe on both of my stoves and also notice that when it rains super hard and the wind is blowing we would have water drip out of our stove pipe, The problem with mine was the chimmey cap, when winds were strong it would blow water in the pipe, so i went to lowes and got a 6in cap that is used in the heating / cooling field they use these galv caps to block off a section of pipe. they are galv metal and fit perfect inside the diameter of my stove pipe and have not had no more issues with any water either. and when burning season starts remove the cap and your back in bussiness

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. In my situation the water is deff not coming in the cap area. It is as mentioned bone dry in the pipe itself. I am very sure it is as one mentioned the storm collar design for my situation not being the greatest as it lets blowing or hard rain get in to some degree in the pipe air vents which are under the collar. These vents show themselves no more than an inch and a half or two from bottem of shield. One can stand back and see how even a minimal rain blowing or bouncing off the 5 pitch roof can do this. The installer was supposed to come back soon, to maybe install fromm roof up a new application of the same pipe in case there was a defect. I feel that if there is a deeper collar available this would go a long ways as well as a finger thick bead of caulk as mentioned around the boot just below the start of the venting. Amazingly so there are hundreds of this exact pipe in my area here of Vermont and I have not heard any complaints like this. I gueass its where it is on ur house and what wind protection or lack of it you have that makes the differance. Really need to get this taken care of as we still need to run this stove for the first breakin fires yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.