Rain down the flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hemlock

Feeling the Heat
May 6, 2009
east coast canada
Not necessarily specific to pellet stoves, but it is the pellet stove that got me thinking. When the rain is heavy, you can really hear it on/in the flue. My wood stove has done it for years with no noticeable effects, but should I be somehow covering the top of the stack on both the wood and pellets stove? Thanks.

What set-up do you have? Don't you have a cap on it already?

imacman said:
What set-up do you have? Don't you have a cap on it already?

It's a standard through-the -roof install. The flue(s) has a "generic" cap on it.

Its always a good idea to put a cap on the chimney of any wood burning appliance. The cap that you have is good for the wood stove and should not cause you any problems. If you vent your pellet stove through the roof there is a similar cap that will go on the top.

try using a cap like this. It has a wind/rain guard.

quickcapwithscreen-wr.jpg

link: http://www.olympiachimney.com/products/cat/FF/FFCM-CAPS

Most standard caps work fine but you can get wind blown rain into the chimney depending on the surroundings. Sometimes rain can actually blow up as the wind hits the roof and get in under the top of the cap. In this case a cap with a wind/rain protector as in the previous post works great.

Hello

I have fairly standard caps on both my chimneys and never had a problem.

The pellet stove is into the brick chimney and the oil boiler is in the steel chimney.

The chimneys are NOT supposed to be the same height when close, so in this case the Metal Chimney is higher

Attachments

• MetalChimney 036sc.jpg
    MetalChimney 036sc.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 218
Status
Not open for further replies.