Rain, Rain and More #!@*(& Rain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
I hate rain! I just checked and we have gotten 36 inches since January 1st. 11 of it last month. My wood cutting this year is getting slowed down big time. Dang glad I finally got a year ahead last year and that the 30-NC sips less wood than Old Brownie did.

It just started raining again and is supposed to pour all night. >:-(

Riggs! I'm get'n too old for this X#%#!

You're going to get hammered again in a few hours Bart. We just got it here. I did see a huge Silver Maple down across the road. I guess some good will come from all this rain.

Until last year, we were 12 years in Northern Virginia...I've never seen as much annual rainfall anywhere else I've ever lived. That's why the region's a jungle and there are so many people who make a career of mowing, trimming, cutting vegetation. Can be real pretty, though, that's for sure. Seems like we just got through the winter that refused to die and now we're waiting for the summer that refuses to live. Higher than normal rainfall here in Oregon so far, and I think there've been only a couple of days since last fall that I haven't burned. Fire in the shop stove yesterday and again today to get the morning chill off. Just remember what Annie sang, though...the sun'll come out tomorrow. :) Rick

fossil said:
Just remember what Annie sang, though...the sun'll come out tomorrow. :) Rick

Nope. Rain all day tomorrow in the forecast and every day this week. I am having Monsoon flashbacks since the helos from Quantico fly over the house all of the time and the artillery ranges are just a few miles down the road.

Excuse me now. I have to go climb a tower somewhere. If I can find one with an elevator.

Note to karl: We are getting hammered right now. Dark red and yellow as far as the radar can see coming straight this way out of the south. This warm, the tornado alerts can't be very far away. I am stlll cleaning up downed trees from the tornado in 2004 in the front yard. I put up a half cord of pine from it today in honor of fossil and sonnyinbc just before the rain started.

Quack! :shut:

I'll split in the rain but won't cut. 36" of rain? Damn that's has to be worse than Washington. btw it's been unseasonable cool here too...but good cutting and splitting weather.

Calling for it here too. And in the 90's this weekend. Rain +90's is hella humid. ARGH!!!!!!!
I want a garage floor poured, but I also want AC. I need the floor though, damnit.

I beleave the se states were have a drought before all this rain!Its just mother nature evening things out.Its going to get hot here in ct this weeken!im NOT!! looking forward to that.Central Air will be getting some quality time.

stanleyjohn said:
I beleave the se states were have a drought before all this rain!Its just mother nature evening things out.

Doesn't ever really even anything out, though, SJ. Feast or famine. Lots of really heavy rainfall in a short period of time just causes lots of runoff, erosion, and floods...not much chance to soak in & really do some good to relieve the drought. It's a lot more involved than just filling reservoirs. Rick

Send some of that rain up to Central NY. I have a well and it is already down to what is usually is in mid-July. I measure snow and rain fot the NWS. I only got 1.63" in May and only 11.23" so far this year.

If it keeps up I won't need my well. I will just go down to the basement with a bucket.

Wood's dry though. Thank all available deities for 41 mil rubber roofing. A river flowing downhill under the pallets but nothing landing on the fuel supply.

BrotherBart said:
If it keeps up I won't need my well. I will just go down to the basement with a bucket.

Wood's dry though. Thank all available deities for 41 mil rubber roofing. A river flowing downhill under the pallets but nothing landing on the fuel supply.
Aye, EPDM works great, and tough.
If i had known I would be a woody at this point, back in those days, I woulda grabbed a couple 20' x100''s. Damnit, why does it take getting older to get wiser? Can't we start wiser and get dumber down the road?
LOL Well before semilism kicks in.

Getting that 50' x 15' roll for five bucks at a defunct landscapers auction last year was the best thing that has happened in awhile. Now getting that 15' x 23' piece up on top of the six cord pile is a whole nuther issue. Damn that stuff is heavy.

I need me one of those cavemen around for that. A tall one.

Hogwildz said:
Damnit, why does it take getting older to get wiser? Can't we start wiser and get dumber down the road?

Seems to me that's what must have happened, as there was a time a long time ago when I was convinced I knew everything, but now I'm convinced I don't really know squat...so I must have gotten a whole lot dumber over those years. :smirk: Rick

BrotherBart said:
Getting that 50' x 15' roll for five bucks at a defunct landscapers auction last year was the best thing that has happened in awhile. Now getting that 15' x 23' piece up on top of the six cord pile is a whole nuther issue. Damn that stuff is heavy.

I need me one of those cavemen around for that. A tall one.

Thats dirt cheap Bart! 50' x 15' was about $400.00 or so back when I was still laying it down. Course its been a while, but I can't be that far off.
You got a steal! Have ya tried rolling it up, lay it up on, and roll it out? or just cut her into 10' sections or so.
I remember the 20' x 100' rolls weighing in at about 795 pounds or so. I know cause I was bet I couldn't lift one end up, I did, and my back was never the same again.
Blew a coupe discs on that one.

Putting that stuff up there is like trying to push a rope. Get an end up there and go to move more up and it slides back down. I think I have the hang of it now. Just slow and steady and don't get pissed off at it. One quick move and it is back down around your feet.

And for me picking up the end of a twenty foot roll is a handful cause the rest of the roll is attached. Little guy, ya see.

BrotherBart said:
Putting that stuff up there is like trying to push a rope. Get an end up there and go to move more up and it slides back down. I think I have the hang of it now. Just slow and steady and don't get pissed off at it. One quick move and it is back down around your feet.

And for me picking up the end of a twenty foot roll is a handful cause the rest of the roll is attached. Little guy, ya see.

Yeah I hear ya, it is awkward to get above your head, even for this tall guy. Its so flimsy, there is nothing rigid to grab hold of, or push on.
I fold mine up as small as I can get it, it don't make it any lighter, but it does make it a lil stiffer and easier to grab hold & maneuver. Then I toss it up on, then unfold.
Trick is, folding it the right way so you don't have to flip it over, if that makes sense.

BrotherBart said:
Putting that stuff up there is like trying to push a rope.

We sailors know how to do that. :lol: Rick

Speaking of rain, its here now, and the humidity is already up.
This weekend is going to be a steam bath.

Don't envy you Bros Bart. 2 years ago we got 40" in just May and June. Woods never dried out once all summer. Flooding brought the Weather Channel to lil ole Newmarket NH. People kayaking in the parking lot of my business. Last year, one torrential overnight rain and it was deja vu all over again, roads washed out, dams letting go. This year..relentlessly nice, less than an 1" since beginning of May though we did come within 2" of the all time single season snowfall record. I'm bringing in wood as fast as my schedule will allow. Fossil, I agree, the "average" weather is generally nothing more than a whole bunch of extremes offsetting each other.

Been raining here for the last few days also, supposed to rain all week.
On the brighter side tomorrow the temps are supposed to get into the mid to upper 50's.
Last 2 days we were playing with 40's to lower 50's.
Lower 40's to upper 30's at night with rain gets a little chilly.

Yup, had to re-light the stove.

Though I will not knock down the rain since it has been dry here lately, and last year we went almost 2 months without a drop.
I do have to admit once the sun comes out the ticks and mosquitoes will be out in force.

We've got your rain here now in ME. Not looking forward to this weekends temps and humidity either.

stanleyjohn said:
I beleave the se states were have a drought before all this rain!Its just mother nature evening things out

Yes, aren't "averages" wonderful. Don't forget, if you are standing with one foot in a bucket of dry ice and the other foot in boiling water, you are, on average, "comfortable" :)

Ken

Our weather is down in the dumps again too. 48 this morning. And the forecast says every other day will be rainy. Oh well, we are getting a very long spring and the slugs love it.

But I am really impressed by the rainfalls back east. BB, your rain to date matches Seattle's average annual rainfall of 36", about 5" less than NYC.

Just got hit again. 1 1/2 inches in thirty minutes. The wind speed was 62 miles an hour from 2:50 to 3:00 pm. Sheesh!

Power still on here but thousands out in our county and the area surrounding D.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.