Rain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2005
A while back, when we in New England had a lot of driving, blowing rain, I had some rain enter my double wall insulated chimney form the cap.
The chimney is in a chase which is accessible. The stove was not running as it was kind of warm out. I noticed that some of the rain that got inside the chimney would run down the inside and where the sections meet, the water would make its way out to the exterior of the chimney and run down to my ceiling box.
Anyone else have this problem?

I had a similar issue with "supervent" insulated chimney. The water was actually "wicking" into the pipe at the seam/joint (not sure which one) not at the cap like yours, and dripping down to my ceiling support and out onto the top of my stove. I just used high temp silicone on the verticaL seam and the "twist lock joint" and it took care of it. Never had a problem since.

Status
Not open for further replies.