Rainer, Napoleon 1400, Endeavor, or Englander 30-NCH?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flyfishco

Jan 20, 2008
colorado
I've done some research and narrowed my look to these stoves. Tell me your pros, cons, opinions, and suggestions. I have a 1700 square ft. house with an open floor plan. I am looking for a dependable NC stove that will give me 8 to 10 hour burns. Also, what wood in your opinion is the best for those long burns? Thanks for your time and your knowledge, Mark.

P.S. I've checked all the Lowes stores, at least online, in CO, AZ, and NM and they don't sell the Summers Heat. So, I have to go elsewhere. Give me your thoughts.

I hope you have read this:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewannounce/13750_2/

The forums tend to be self-perpetuating in that we have have "runs" where everyone was told to buy a vermont castings intrepid....then a vermont castings encore, then a woodstove, then an englander, and many others....Oh, I forgot the biggest run - PE (Pacific Energy)....

As the founder and chief moderator here, it concerns me....as you can see by reading my little warning thread. I have personally seem people behind the scenes (people who were "connected") attempt to manipulate the public here.

I do understand that folks like others to put the stamp of approval on their purchases. At the same time, having others who you don't know and who live in other climes make your final decision for you...when it is only YOU that has to live with the stove - well, that is not the intention of these boards.

So, onto my advice - Read the article in my signature on choosing a stove. Consider the design of the stove - mechanically as well as style, size, clearances, etc. - Consider what services you might need such as delivery, installation, chimney lining, etc. - And, of course, consider your budget. These (and others) are factors that we cannot guess at.

The reality is that (most) wood stoves, including the brands you have mentioned, are quite simple and will serve you well. It is all those other factors which come into play.

Sorry for the rant......

OH, I forgot - check out our stove ratings also (see the drop down menu at top right of page)......again, don't take them for gospel, but they are at least some kind of a guide as to what multiple users think of a brand or model.

Craig,
I have read your warning thread, but I still think it is interesting to see what others think. I am not going to go off and buy a stove that everyone tells me to buy. Just like buying a new car, I do my research and plan accordingly. With that said, I thank you for your concern and warnings. I won't take them lightly, however I would still like to see what others have to say. I know it is their opinions which could be based on selling stoves for their team or their company. Thanks again, Mark

Well, given those warning I can give you my "limited" experience.(after being in the biz for 30 years and selling untold stoves)....

I have no experience with Englander or Napoleon, either selling them or selling against them (they were not on the radar screen in my market).

But my store sold Travis products (Lopi - Avalon) for 20+ year and still does (I sold the store in 1998). I can honestly say that we had fewer problems with those wood stoves than with any other of the brands that we sold. Again, not saying much since we sold that brand as our main brand (no reason to sell others!).

On the subject of burn times, please check out the beta of our newest toy:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/burn_time_calculator

(crude, but generally effective)

and (tongue in cheek)....
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/You_and_a_BTU/

Between the BTU article and the calculator, you should be able to come up with some sort of idea of what you will be getting over a certain burn time.

Here is a recent thread with reference to Napoleon:
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/9392/

I had the rainier installed in my house last year, was happy with the heat output, not happy with the overall burn time. It was decent, but I couldnt go through the night without a re-load..Two months later I called and they brought in the Olympic..Now thats a stove!

Craig is correct. We all love our stoves. Well except the ones that hate their stoves.

I can only speak to the Englander 30-NC. It is the right stove for us and is serving us well. Get the stove with the features you want and the footprint that fits your application. At their heart they are all steel boxes that give you the opportunity of living with a raging twelve hundred degree fire inside your house.

FWIW: In the areas you are looking, for Englanders look at Sutherland's Lumber Company. I bought mine from their store in Boulder. Super folks to deal with and they probably need to be making room for the lawn mowers right about now too.

lawn mowers! cant believe it! Downhill slide already! if it is, I have plenty of wood left!

What size are you really looking for? It looks like there are a bunch of ~2cu ft stoves and then a big 3cu ft + stove in the search. Did you mean the 13-NC? If you want big, the Napoleon 1900 has the 3cu.ft. firebox similar to the 30 NC. So what is the priority, long burn - maybe look at the PE Spectrum or Classic too. Great price value? Hard to beat the Englander or Napoleon in that category and some Englanders are very clean burning stoves.

flyfishco said:
I've done some research and narrowed my look to these stoves. Tell me your pros, cons, opinions, and suggestions. I have a 1700 square ft. house with an open floor plan. I am looking for a dependable NC stove that will give me 8 to 10 hour burns. Also, what wood in your opinion is the best for those long burns? Thanks for your time and your knowledge, Mark.

P.S. I've checked all the Lowes stores, at least online, in CO, AZ, and NM and they don't sell the Summers Heat. So, I have to go elsewhere. Give me your thoughts.

my contribution to this is noting you are in colorado , you will want to check colorado approved units their list generally runs he same as the epa phase 2 listing , however there sometimes are ommissions (mostly accidentally at the state level) but a unit may possibly be in your gunsights and might have been left off that list (even though it may meet their criteria) we've had this happen with our units once before, and had to contact them to amend the listing to include our units. this could be a headache, i will look up and post a link for that listing.

as for stoves, im biased, so im not going to offer an opinion as i do not sell stoves in here anyway. should you decide you wish to know more about my product line , PM me and i will answer what questions you have as honestly as i can.

EDIT: here is the link provided by the colorado board of public health http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/ap/down/coloradoapprovedstoves.pdf
it loaded very slowly when i opened it so be patient

ok , re-edit : guess they finally got smart and went back to the epa phase 2 , guess i was worried about nothing, the link above is for pellet stoves and masonary heating systems here is the epa phase 2 list http://www.epa.gov/Compliance/resources/publications/monitoring/caa/woodstoves/certifiedwood.pdf

hope this helps ya

Status
Not open for further replies.