Rainer vs. Revere - which to choose?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philaphire

Sep 24, 2006
Blue Bell, PA
So there I was in the stove shop hoping to get a spring deal on a Lopi Revere. No deal, none in stock, and too hot a seller. I was however offered 10% off on an Avalon Rainer and told of course that they were essentially the same. Yes, both Travis products, but what about the 1.8 cu in firebox (Rainer) vs. the 2.2 cu in firebox (Revere). That's a 20% difference in capacity.

So, your thoughts? The price difference is over $300? Good deal or go with the bigger firebox?

This is going into the lower level of a moderately insulated 1800 sq ft split level, central location/interior chimney, right by the stairs. Here's an old post with pics: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/3491/

So many folks use firebox size as an indicator of heating ability. I heat a moderately to poorly insulated 1700 SF ranch with a 3 CF firebox Lopi insert and wouldn't want a smaller firebox at all. You couldn't give me a stove with less than 2 CF of box to fill.

I even wonder if the revere would have been big enough for 24/7 burning. Is this stove just to heat the lower level in the evenings or as primary heat?

Go with the Revere. What happened to the F3CB thinking? Bigger firebox will be better. Just from the standpoint of more wood loaded.

Primary heat, probably more evenings weekend than 24/7.

As for the F3CB, that wouldn't fit inside, only on the hearth and that would take too much room in the room. So the biggest inserts that would fit, that are sold locally are these two.

thanks and I welcome more input.

Perhaps this should be a different thread, but i got to thinking, when we say "heats the house" what do we mean? Certainly for some 65 degrees is comfortably heated while for other that's absolutely freezing.

I ahd the rainier free standing and traded it after 1 month of use this past heating season for the larger Olympic. The firebox is small and I couldnt get a decent burn time out of it for waht I needed. I use it is my primary heat.

Adirondackwoodburner said:
I ahd the rainier free standing and traded it after 1 month of use this past heating season for the larger Olympic. The firebox is small and I couldnt get a decent burn time out of it for waht I needed. I use it is my primary heat.

Just curious, how much longer of a burn could you get out of the Olympic vs. the Rainier? I can get at max 6 hours of burn from my Rainier. Any longer than that and it's all pretty much just glowing coals.

Adirondackwoodburner said:

Can you fill me in on house size and insulation? I'm guessing from the screen name that your locale is update NY? For me, I'm in much milder suburban Philadelphia

Yes, that was the main problem with the Rainier for me. I was getting about 6 hours of burn time. With the Olympic 3.3cuft firebox I believe I easily get 9-10.
My house is old, not very well insulated and drafty. The Rainier heated the house fine but I would have to get up in the middle of the night and add more fuel. With the Olympic, I get it cranking hot at 9pm, shut it down and does not need a reload until I leave the house at 7:30..Then, I reload it before I leave for work and it still has a really good coal bed and putting heat out when I return around 6pm. I was really lucky in the fact that I was refunded 100% of the purchase price and the dealer came in, took the rainier out and put in the Olympic. I did have to pay the difference in the stove and a $150 labor charge

too late, rainer is sitting down on the hearth waiting to order liner and install....

Just a few key points:

Avalon has a PINCH door seal
and a full 5 sided convection chamber not sure about the convection chamber on Lopi

I know the Lopi does not have the pinch door seal only a larger gasket with a flush seal.
Pinch door seals last longer and seal better and less gasket to look at.

Avalon 20 inch log Side way load.
Lopi 18" log but firebox is deeper (almost square) than Avalon thus the larger firebox.

Avalon SMALL COOK TOP with the 45Deg version NON WITH standard version.
Lopi GOOD size cook top for and insert.

Lopi A little bit larger firebox but hence longer burn times. ( but deeper firebox could hamper installations.)

Both tested around 2 grams.

Efficiency
lopi 70.4%
avalon 72%

Dept into fireplace
lopi 13" NO 45deg option but flue is farther back for liner connection.
Avalon 14.5 standard 9.5 45 deg unit.

The Avalon Can be used as a freestanding or Insert.
Avalon has a much cleaner looking fan kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.