raining creosote?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobabuoy

Jan 26, 2011
IL
Anyone else ever have this experience? I opened the top load of Encore to re-load and noticed the air going up chimney keeping the smoke in the box as it should. As I started to load, I heard rattling in the chimney and then the smoke started spilling back into the room.

I also noticed there were some creosote chips on the back porch. I should have a good draft as it is cold as heck here (3 deg F) and was wondering if the creosote is somehow coming off the walls creating an airflow disturbance. This has consistently happened loading the few times when it has been extremely cold out.

Any ideas?

Your observations are correct.

How long has it been since you cleaned that chimney and stove pipe?

pen

I had it cleaned at the beginning of the season. At that time they told me things looked good and there was only a little creosote. This year I was burning a lot in non-cat mode with my 2n1. It must have not been burning as well and gunking things up. I'm probably going to buy the sooteater and do the mid-season cleaning myself.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
The soot eater has had many good reviews on here. Good plan

I had it cleaned at the beginning of the season. At that time they told me things looked good and there was only a little creosote. This year I was burning a lot in non-cat mode with my 2n1. It must have not been burning as well and gunking things up. I'm probably going to buy the sooteater and do the mid-season cleaning myself.
Why not burn in cat mode? It helps reduce the creosote buildup, and that's what there for.

My question too. If the stove has a cat, why burn in non-cat mode? Before we got our cat stove we cleaned several times every year. No so with the cat stove as we don't get a dirty chimney now.

cat had gone bad and was trying to use stove without to see how it would work. I've got a new cat now, so I should be ok for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.