Raining in my fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aurunner98

Oct 28, 2009
western SC
I've had my chimmney caps replaced but still after long, substantial rain events, there is a lot of water in my fireplace; up to a gallon of water is captured. Before I call in a repair person, I'd like to be a bit more informed on what the options are. Can anyone help me? Has anyone else had this problem?

pictures of your cap and fireplace setup might help.

The problem may not be the chimney cap.
It could be cracks in the chimney crown (a.k.a. mud cap) or in the mortar
joints of the bricks/stones of the chimney itself.
Our service department has responded to leaky chimney issues, & it's almost NEVER
the cap...
You can test the theory by using a garden hose & spraying water on different
areas of the chimney to find out where the deficiencies are...
Good Luck!

Thank you for the advice; i'll try that with the hose. It sounds easier than crawling up there (which I'll still do). BTW, if it was one of those things your mentioned (some sort of compromised seal) am i in big trouble or can that be fixed relatively easily.

aurunner98 said:
Thank you for the advice; i'll try that with the hose. It sounds easier than crawling up there (which I'll still do). BTW, if it was one of those things your mentioned (some sort of compromised seal) am i in big trouble or can that be fixed relatively easily.

Well, "relatively easily" is subject to some conjecture.
If you find that you're missing some mortar on the surface,
& your masonry skills are good, self-repair is not out of the question.
If your skills are not up to it, & hiring a mason to complete the required repairs
doesn't fit your wallet at this time, you can always patch any voids with
silicone temporarily...
Your call...

Status
Not open for further replies.