raining in the living room...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 21, 2007
Chelmsford, Ma
water is coming from my support box in the center where the pipe connects it comes down the pipe and sizzles on the top of the stove..only does it once in a while...it was leaking last week so i went up and sealed everywhere again...and its still leaking..does anyone know what the best sealent i can get is? its a metal corragated roof with the vented flashing on it..im ready to go to H.D and grab a gallon of that plastic roofing cement and go to town with the whole gallon...

I have the same issue friend. Drives me crazy. Only happens during a driving rain storm, though this last week it happened when we had freezing rain. I have not yet figured out the issue, but will be tearing into things after the burning season. If you find the culprit, let me know ;-)

Good luck friend.

I have painted galv roofing also. Years ago I had a leak and my final fix after siliconing the flashing etc was to take a piece of matching roofing then silicone it and screw it down on the top side only so it was flush with the roof and carried up onto the flashing to the chimney. You could go out and see the rain pour over the piece of roofing and hit the chimney past the leaking areas. It will stick up on the bottom side but that does not matter as its past the site of vulnerability. The matching pattern of the roofing made it a tight seal on the top side. It stood for 20 years. I hope this helps.

Is there a storm collar on the exterior stack just above the adjustable flashing? Is there a bead of caulking around the edge where the storm collar touches the stack?

I used the black tar roof patch stuff with fiberglass in it, I smeared it on the bottom of the flashing before I screwed it down. I also bent the flashing down between the high spots on the metal roof by screwing it in the valleys, then I put more roof patch on the edge and over every screw head even though I used gasketed screws. So far it has been 5 years no leaks. I also siliconed the heck out of the storm collar, I out a bead around the chimney pipe where I wanted the storm collar then slide the collar down in to the silicon tightened the screw tight then ran another bead on top of the seam where the collar and pipe meet. I believe in overkill the first time usually keeps me from having to things more than once which BTW is one of my pet peeves.

What ^^Dan said - get one of those paint can size, well cans, of the black tar with fiberglass and redo it a bit. It is always better to work a warm roof so wait for some sun...or the springtime.

To those of you having issues with rain coming through your support box and dripping onto the stove top. The logical thing to think is that the boot/roofing around the boot is the culpret, but I found out different. I had the same issue. I first thought I was leaking from the boot flashing/roofing around it. I went up into the attic and none of the roof plywood was wet at all. So my second thought was that rain was getting past the storm collar and leaking between the pipe and the boot or dripping down the vent holes in the boot. I didnt see any signs of water stains or water seapage down the sides of the pipe in the attic. It was brand new pipe at the time and would be pretty easy to see water stains from water streaming down the outside of the pipe. I then thought that maybe the rain was hitting the roof so hard it was bouncing up and entering the vent holes in the boot and leaking into the support box. I stayed in the attic and watched. "Nothing" I finally figured out the problem Water was actually "wicking" into the "vertical" seams of the chimney pipe and was trickling down between the inner and outer layer of the Class A chimney sections and then coming out at the support box and dripping down onto the stove. I sealed all the vertical seams in my chimney pipe and even put a little where the sections come together under the locking bands(went sparingly here in case I ever want to take apart), and the dripping stopped immediately! My advice is if you have access to your chimney in your attic or chase, look at it. If there are no water stains on the outside of it, and the underside of your roof plywood is dry, I will bet your probem is water wicking through the seams....

ya, i did silicone the storm collar twice..and i did the seams of the pipe...I'll have to really check it good next sunny day ...this time i will go over every little piece with silicone.. and i'm going to get some of that black plastic roofing cement to put around the vent flashing ..i really dont think it's the roof...i think its the storm collar or water going into the seams of the pipes...i think if it was the roof it would be leaking outside the support box and coming down on my ceilings...thank god its not that!

I think I'm having the same issue. It is definitely not running down the outside of the pipe. I've been in the attic twice during two different rains and cannot find any water on the outside of the pipe. I guess I too need to try and silicone the seams on the outside of the house above the storm collar.

I have Supervent chimney. Just curious, is that the brand everyone with this problem has?

This isn't an answer to your specific problem, but an answer to the others who say pile on the tar. If you ever have a leak around (on outside) of your chimney or other vent pipes. Think long and hard about using tar or silicone. It might work for a while but, The best practice is to replace the flashing, or shingles if it is higher up. Pulling up layers of tar a few years from now to fix it right is a huge mess and pain. I have been on a few roofs and seen some pretty bad "fixes" In my current house the previous owner was told to silicone a leak they had near the chimney. She siliconed the INSIDE perimeter of the chimney where it met the roof. I still point that out to my friends. I also pulled up a 2 inch patch of tar that had branches and pine cones underneath it. As much as possible do it wright the first tim

I hate those damned vented roof flashings. Simpson actually stopped making the ones with the holes all over and now they have dimples in them which should keep the rain out a lot better.

Nic36 said:
I have Supervent chimney. Just curious, is that the brand everyone with this problem has?

Yep that the brand I have that was leaking at the vertical seams. Been ok ever since I sealed them over two years and many "pounding rains" ago.

Thanks Mike. I will silicone the down all the seams on the outside tomorrow. Hopefully that will take care of my problem. All I have is the regular 100% silicone for metal and flashings. I wonder if I should buy the high temp stuff. What did you use?

I had that happen with my SuperVent chimney a few weeks ago also.

It was raining for two and a half days straight though with no real breaks. It hasn't happened since, but we haven't had that much continuous rain since either (although we have had a lot of rain).

I assumed that it was rain blown up under the storm collar, since I know that my chimney is sealed well. I went up and took a look and under the storm collar is the only way it can get in.

On my setup, there are no exposed seams between pipe sections that are outside. I penetrated the roof almost at the peak, and my last 3' section of class A has the seam inside the flashing. I suppose it is possible though that water is getting in at the top where the chimney cap connects.

-SF

I have also wondered if some water is getting in somehow at the cap. I wished I had put a bucket over the top of the chimney on the last rain, then I would know for sure. Although it looks good, I have not been too impressed with the Supervent rain cap. It still lets some water come in the chimney.

I also have a brace on my chimney since I have about 8 feet of Class A above the storm collar. I'm thinking water is collecting around the brace band and wicking in at the seam there.

I guess I'll silicone everything real well today and wait for the next rain.

I just finished putting silicone on the chimney. I went all the way down the seams and even took the locking bands off and put silicone around the joints. I put the bands back on and put silicone on them too.

But, I think water may be getting in at the seam on the bottom of each pipe. I noticed a small gap (hole) at each end of the pipe where the two pieces of metal meet at the seam. Enough to probably pull water in maybe by capillary action during a rain. A poor design by Supervent.

I am having a similar problem as mentioned above. I have Supervent pipe and the water is coming down through the seam. I'll be siliconing all seams when the weather gets a little warmer and dry.

I have MetalBestos [I think that's how it's spelled] pipe and MB flashing, caps, etc. I built the cottage myself and know it inside and out, every nail and seam of every part of the house. MB pipe is double-walled and the sections are threaded to screw together slightly, with a band of aluminum to add security to each connection. I have a steel roof. I have had a leak like described in this thread on one stove and have been tearing my hair out for over 20 yr. and STILL leaks. I finally, some years ago, put a plastic bucket behind the RAIS stove on which this happens. Of course, there is some moisture in the ceiling around the stovepipe where this happens but no degradation of the wood, etc. I have had to keep an area of the ceiling around the stovepipe open for letting this area dry out after good rains or sometimes even snows.

The water that comes out is perfectly clear and clean, or appears to be to the eye. Thus I have figured it isn't running down the inside of the pipe for even a portion of its path or it would be stained grey or black?? I have sealed and resealed and been up on the roof a zillion+++ times to try to figure it out.

Still no go. I have a collar around the pipe where it goes into the boot and that is also sealed. I have no more ideas. Last spring, I even pulled the drywall off the ceiling for several feet to try to trace the leak and still could not find where it is coming from.

So, good luck. I've had none.

That was one of the reasons i went straingth up beside the eve of my house, I also have colored metal roof and it raised ridges every foot or so, it's hard to seal around a pipe on a metal roof, I had a leak back in the spring on the back side of my roof where two roofs join together. I got me a gallon of black roofing cement , it fixed the leak , take your time with it and you can do a nice job with it, I would rather do that than have to replace drywall and wood on my roof due to water damage.

Michael6268 said:
Nic36 said:

Yep that the brand I have that was leaking at the vertical seams. Been ok ever since I sealed them over two years and many "pounding rains" ago.
I had that problem on my set-up and have seen it in the field on occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.