Raining Red Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

red oak

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2011
northwest Virginia
Yesterday I cut some wood in the National Forest. Someone had cut a rather large oak down and had taken the top half and left the bottom portion of the trunk. At first glance I didn't think it would equal a full load but there were also some pieces from another tree that someone had cut and just left. Together it filled up the truck pretty good. This is also one of the first loads with the new(er) truck. I already split some today and will split the rest later this week. Still pretty green but hopefully will be ready to burn by October.

(Make that October 2015)

DSC01978 (2) (1024x767).jpg

Reactions: PapaDave and ScotO
+1 on the score, good luck on getting the green wood to be dry by Oct.

Bahaha - it appears that you are one of the "It ain't loaded till the trailer hitch sparks" crowd.;lol (been there, don't that, myself;))

That will make a nice pile of splits.

Good on you for cleaning up after others cherry picking & getting a nice load out of it.

Don't worry about the size of the load guys. He doesn't show it in the pic, but Oak has a pile of rounds strapped to the hood to keep the nose down. Perfectly safe ==c

Oak has a pile of rounds strapped to the hood to keep the nose down. Perfectly safe ==c
His new truck is probably screaming "What are you trying to do, kill me?!" Red sez "You're lucky you're a short-bed." ;lol

Good on you for cleaning up after others cherry picking & getting a nice load out of it.

Don't worry about the size of the load guys. He doesn't show it in the pic, but Oak has a pile of rounds strapped to the hood to keep the nose down. Perfectly safe ==c

Yes I figured if I showed that people would REALLY think I'm crazy!

So my old Ranger had a 7 foot bed and I got used to that extra foot. So cutting this it didn't look like all that much until I started loading it. BUT, if I take the saw to it then it comes home!

"Don't mind the mule, load the wagon" ;)

Nice score!

Reactions: Thistle
Making that new truck work. Good job and some great firewood.

I see plenty of extra space on top of the cab & I'm sure there's room for a couple on the passenger seat.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I'll admit to putting 3 rounds in the backseat of my Dodge on Sunday they were way too nice to leave behind. No way I was leaving 20" dia sugar maple rounds that I cut for anyone else.

Reactions: Thistle
Reactions: Gark and Thistle
Status
Not open for further replies.