rainwater coming down flue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lsains

Jan 16, 2015
hampshire
Hi all.

I have fitted a woodburner stove last year, although I am not a hetas fitter I am in the building trade so I feel I am capable.
We have a 1960 house with clay pots in the chimney. I fitted a stainless steel flue with a standard flue cowl. With some amount of rain we noticed water under the stove.
I replaced the cowl with an anti downdraught one which seemed to do the trick, but recent high winds and rain have proved otherwise.

The chimney is in good condition and I can see no water marks on the register plate suggesting the fault is with the cowl.
We live down a dip though we are still a lot higher that other houses, but we do tend to have high winds.

I have looked into clay pot cowls but they don't seem to be welcomed for wood burners?

Any advice would be grateful

Regards
Lorne

Status
Not open for further replies.