Raised hearth for 30nc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie2

Mar 10, 2014
Georgia
Hello to all you fine folks! What a great site!
In the search for a more efficient stove for my work shop I found this place and I love it. Thanks to the folks that helped me decide to buy a Englander 30HC, it really fits my budget for a no frills stove. BTW, anyone looking right now, one can be had for $650, plus $99 S&H, plus sales tax from Home Depot. Just go to the Johnson City, Tn store and check out there and it will be shipped to you in your state. It is being shipped to me in Georgia and I will be receiving it Wednesday this week.
I'm getting everything ready and would like to put it on a raised hearth. I read a thread about hearths, folks were showing off some pretty impressive work, but the one that caught my eye for my application was one that the builder dry stacked two courses of 8" block , then capped that with 2" paving stones. That would make the top of the hearth about 18" high.
Is that too high? (sorry it took so long to ask such a short question.)

Highbeam did something similar for his shop stove.

Highbeam did something similar for his shop stove.
Thanks begreen, I also noticed someone asked pretty much the same question on Mar 3, I apologize for missing that post. I can't find the post where the fellow showed his complete build, but I think I will go with it. It will put the top of the stove at about 48" which sounds fine. Was highbeams build in a new construction with cathedral ceilings? The stove looked tiny sitting on that hearth, wonder how it worked out.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what y'all call a pole barn in WA? Wow. But yes, that's the thread. I'm sort of thinking the same thing with the cement. I'm old and careful, but I won't outlive the stove.
That Englander in that "pole barn", is it actually enough to heat it? If it does, I may have four times the heater I need! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.