Raised Waterproof Wood Pellet Stove Hearth for Garage!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Building a raised wood pellet stove hearth for the garage. The stove will be in the back right corner. Unfortunately this is where any water or snow melting runs right too! So the stove must be elevated to prevent the bottom from rusting out!

Therefore, the materials should not rot easily. So far I used 2x6 pressure treated lumber and I just got some PVC board to trim it out. Should I show the PVC board smooth or ruff side? See pics.

I had the wood lying around and the permabase was $10.00 but the PVC board is expensive!

Attachments

• GarageHearth (1).JPG
    GarageHearth (1).JPG
    176.5 KB · Views: 1,209
  • GarageHearth (2).JPG
    GarageHearth (2).JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 743
Yes, Need heat for painting stoves and also a working display. Do you have one in yours?

I have a pellet stove in my pole barn/woodshop. I just set some concrete blocks on the concrete, laid a couple of patio stones on them...and that was it. Took about 5 min. Raises the stove about 9", and is fireproof.!!

I have a pellet stove in my pole barn/woodshop. I just set some concrete blocks on the concrete, laid a couple of patio stones on them...and that was it. Took about 5 min. Raises the stove about 9", and is fireproof.!!

Good idea!

NFPA-211

Yes, Need heat for painting stoves and also a working display. Do you have one in yours?

NFPA-211 might tell you otherwise. If that building was a shop with no flammables it would be ok.

isn't pressure treated wood inside also a bad idea?

I hope you're going to have a fireproof topping.

NFPA-211 might tell you otherwise. If that building was a shop with no flammables it would be ok.

Yes, I do not put cars in it anymore so technically it will be fine. I need the heat for drying the paint on stoves.

Simple 2x6 hearth with PVC board for trim around 3/4" plywood topped with cement board and porcelin tiles.

Remember to Back Butter those tiles for a good sticken!
Boy, I just found this! I never new I needed a Back Butter Buddy!
https://www.flooringsupplyshop.com/back-butter-buddy-2181.html

Hear are some more pics

Attachments

• IMG_0357.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_0358.JPG
    IMG_0358.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_0361.JPG
    IMG_0361.JPG
    251.5 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    245.4 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_0363.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG
    238.6 KB · Views: 398
I would avoid the wood even if it`s pressure treated if it`s going to be getting wet it will attract mold. 12X12 patio stones could work, 2 layers if need be for extra height. Maybe a layer of poly under your pellet pile too if there is a chance water could wick up into your bags.

Reactions: Augmister
I would avoid the wood even if it`s pressure treated if it`s going to be getting wet it will attract mold. 12X12 patio stones could work, 2 layers if need be for extra height. Maybe a layer of poly under your pellet pile too if there is a chance water could wick up into your bags.

Good point. The first 2 pics below show the area the hearth is going. As you can see the floor is wet. So the 3rd pic shows the 4 patio blocks I will be putting under each corner of the hearth.

The last pic shows the Oak Wood Pallet I painted to hold a ton of pellets.

Attachments

• IMG_0365.JPG
    IMG_0365.JPG
    248.9 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 398
  • IMG_0368.JPG
    IMG_0368.JPG
    170.7 KB · Views: 362
Some scrap pieces of pvc trim under the pallet will help keep it dry. I have used pvc scrap for exactly that in wet areas of my basement works pretty good, just enough to get it off the floor. Just a friendly reminder don`t forget to move the move the flammables away from the stove after it`s installed. I see aerosol cans,lawnmower,waste oil container, jugs of chemicals and the kerosene heater (i know that wont be around after the stove is in! :) )in your pics. It`s easy to forget stuff like that when you see the same stuff in the same place day after day.

Some scrap pieces of pvc trim under the pallet will help keep it dry. I have used pvc scrap for exactly that in wet areas of my basement works pretty good, just enough to get it off the floor. Just a friendly reminder don`t forget to move the move the flammables away from the stove after it`s installed. I see aerosol cans,lawnmower,waste oil container, jugs of chemicals and the kerosene heater (i know that wont be around after the stove is in! :) )in your pics. It`s easy to forget stuff like that when you see the same stuff in the same place day after day.

Thanks for the reminder. Yes, I will have to move all that stuff and clean out the area. The main idea is to have some nice pellet heat so I will not have to use "Stinky" my nickname for the kero heater. LOL

In fact I have names for all our household heaters! LOL See below. Click to enlarge

Attachments

• TRHheaters.jpg
    TRHheaters.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 421
Hello

Well the messy grouting is done! Looks dark gray but will be much lighter when it dries.

Click pics to enlarge:

Attachments

• IMG_0379.JPG
    IMG_0379.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 366
  • IMG_0380.JPG
    IMG_0380.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 356
All the time and effort wouldn't it be wise to fix your water from coming in?

All the water comes from the snow on the snow blower. LOL

It pools in that one spot! any ideas? ? ?

All the water comes from the snow on the snow blower. LOL

It pools in that one spot! any ideas? ? ?

You could find the lowest spot, rent a large hammer drill, and drill out an opening for a drain. Drill down far enough to add some stone and stick a drain cover over the hole. Or you could just simply drill a smaller hole down through the pad and let the water drain that way. Shouldn't be that big of a deal if it's only melt off from the snow blower. The pellet stove will help dry the standing water but, that will increase the humidity in your shop, and paint doesn't go well with humidity.

Hello

I like this easy garage hookup. If the door was closed it would be warm in there! LOL

The global warming people are not going to like this. You just raised the outside temp by 1 degree!

Reactions: mralias
Here is a good quote!

Shucks, I thought all that leaking gas and oil in my garage would not be a problem! LOL

From > http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?122655-Pellet-stove-for-workshop
"Pellet stoves are not a problem in an attached garage if they are kept at 18 inches off of the floor due to the possibility of fuel from vehicles leaking and causing a fire.
Pellet and grain stoves are much safer than wood stoves from what I have read."

The only reason I am raising my stove up is so a damp floor will not rust out the bottom of the stove. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.