Raising a fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rowdy268

Apr 10, 2021
Dallas, TX
We are redesigning our fireplace wall/area and would like to raise our fireplace by about 6-8". We want to create a hearth that we can sit on when a fire is going, etc. Currently, that would pretty low where the box is currently installed. I called around today to try to get an understanding of what this would involve and the responses were all over the map. Decided to see what you guys have to say. I did some research on the model that is installed and the pipe. The instructions for the fireplace say that once the chimney sections cannot be disassembled once they have been locked together. I was hoping I could just replace the is 18" piece coming out of the box with a 12" piece, but based on the install instructions, that may not be possible.

One of the guys today told me to just raise it all and cut off at the top. Another guy told me that was not the way it should be done.

At the top, I have a powered Enervex fan that helps draw the smoke. We had issues when this home was first built with smoke coming inside and they tried everything from a fresh air vent, raising the chimney and finally adding the fan.

Looking for my options on this. We are redoing the wall as DIY project so I don't want to spend more than needed just to raise the box. I've include photos to show you the materials and the current install.

IMG_1040.jpg IMG_1024.jpg IMG_1028.jpg IMG_1029.jpg IMG_1032.jpg IMG_1039.jpg

We are redesigning our fireplace wall/area and would like to raise our fireplace by about 6-8". We want to create a hearth that we can sit on when a fire is going, etc. Currently, that would pretty low where the box is currently installed. I called around today to try to get an understanding of what this would involve and the responses were all over the map. Decided to see what you guys have to say. I did some research on the model that is installed and the pipe. The instructions for the fireplace say that once the chimney sections cannot be disassembled once they have been locked together. I was hoping I could just replace the is 18" piece coming out of the box with a 12" piece, but based on the install instructions, that may not be possible.

One of the guys today told me to just raise it all and cut off at the top. Another guy told me that was not the way it should be done.

At the top, I have a powered Enervex fan that helps draw the smoke. We had issues when this home was first built with smoke coming inside and they tried everything from a fresh air vent, raising the chimney and finally adding the fan.

Looking for my options on this. We are redoing the wall as DIY project so I don't want to spend more than needed just to raise the box. I've include photos to show you the materials and the current install.

View attachment 277728 View attachment 277729 View attachment 277730 View attachment 277731 View attachment 277732 View attachment 277733
It would pretty much mean disassembling the whole chimney reframing the opening then reinstalling everything

It would pretty much mean disassembling the whole chimney reframing the opening then reinstalling everything
I can certainly do the reframing and raising myself, but the chimney pipe is my main concern.

When you mention disassembling the chimney, does that mean pulling everything out and replacing or is there a reassemble process?

I've tried to detach the pipe from the box, but not totally sure if it will disconnect. Do you normally have to cut it?

Thanks for your help - I'm learning a lot today!

Is raising the fireplace, chimney and all, up 6" an option with a 6" raised top on the exterior chase?

PS: Does the fireplace have an outside air connection? If not, this might be a good time to add one.