Raising stove off concrete floor? What to use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knots

Minister of Fire
Mar 13, 2013
Alfred, Maine
My stove is in the basement on a concrete floor. I'd like to raise it up at least a foot so I can see it better and not have to squat as far to fill it up.

The basement is utilitarian, so looks don't mean much. I just want to do it safely.

The stove pipe is telescoping and it can still get plenty shorter. I've got so much draft that shorter will be better.

IMG_0485.jpg

I was looking at these deck blocks. Any other ideas?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_560913-4484...rentURL=?Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&facetInfo=

Any non combustible material will work fine i would say that solid concrete blocks or bricks would work just fine and be cheap as long as aesthetics is of no concern.

Those deck block wouldn't give you more than about 6 inches of height. You would need to stack TWO and I don't think it would be a stable as just using regular concrete blocks.

You can get solid blocks in various thicknesses to achieve your desired height fairly close. You can mix 6 inch blocks and 4 inch blocks or 8 inch blocks to give a perfect final height. They even make a 2 inch solid cap block.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

8 inch concrete blocks are pretty standard. Why not place a solid array of blocks on the concrete floor and then cap them with patio pavers to give a nice solid base to set the stove on?

Those deck block wouldn't give you more than about 6 inches of height. You would need to stack TWO and I don't think it would be a stable as just using regular concrete blocks.

You can get solid blocks in various thicknesses to achieve your desired height fairly close. You can mix 6 inch blocks and 4 inch blocks or 8 inch blocks to give a perfect final height. They even make a 2 inch solid cap block.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay...gId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Yeah - I was just going to accept the 8" those deck blocks gave. I wasn't planning on stacking. I want to make sure that if I bump the stove it doesn't come off the blocks. The thought of a burning stove coming off the stove pipe in the middle of winter doesn't appeal to me. :eek:

8 inch concrete blocks are pretty standard. Why not place a solid array of blocks on the concrete floor and then cap them with patio pavers to give a nice solid base to set the stove on?

That's a thought. Maybe I need to consider something a little more involved than just sliding some blocks under the legs.

Unless you mean to move the stove eventually, why not mortar the blocks together? A layer of "cinder" blocks capped with a layer of paving stones would look fine, get you the height you want and not move anywhere.

Piling them loose and putting a stove on top... I wouldn't.

Reactions: PowersTree
Unless you mean to move the stove eventually, why not mortar the blocks together? A layer of "cinder" blocks capped with a layer of paving stones would look fine, get you the height you want and not move anywhere.

Piling them loose and putting a stove on top... I wouldn't.

The only way I was going to use loose blocks was if I could put one under each leg. And they'd have to be substantial blocks. Otherwise, I'm going to have to do something like you suggest since I want it to be sturdy.

That's what I did to get the required 18" in my shop. Dry stacked like the pyramids, no reason to mortar them. Nothing has moved.

Attachments

• IMG_20150117_174757.jpg
    IMG_20150117_174757.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 3,481
That's what I did to get the required 18" in my shop. Dry stacked like the pyramids, no reason to mortar them. Nothing has moved.

Nice. I'll have to see if 18" will still give me my vertical clearance requirement. That looks like it's real easy to see and feed the fire.

Nice. I'll have to see if 18" will still give me my vertical clearance requirement. That looks like it's real easy to see and feed the fire.

The height is really a nice surprise. I poke and load from a chair. The stove top is about elbow level so you sort of belly up to the heat when standing.

I plan to rebuild my house stove hearth and will be going up a bit with it too.

My stove is in the basement on a concrete floor. I'd like to raise it up at least a foot so I can see it better and not have to squat as far to fill it up.

I was looking at these deck blocks. Any other ideas?

Yeah - I was just going to accept the 8" those deck blocks gave. I wasn't planning on stacking. I want to make sure that if I bump the stove it doesn't come off the blocks. The thought of a burning stove coming off the stove pipe in the middle of winter doesn't appeal to me. :eek:

I got confused. It seemed to me you wanted to go higher than the height of those deck blocks alone (which is actually only about 6 inches, in the cut-out gap).

My stove is temporarily sitting on un-mortared 4 inch solid blocks with a 2 inch cap (no mortar). This gives me the height I needed for now.
If I can "bump" a 500lb stove off of those blocks I need to go on a serious diet.;lol

Highbeam has a nice, simple setup.

I got confused. It seemed to me you wanted to go higher than the height of those deck blocks alone (which is actually only about 6 inches, in the cut-out gap).

My stove is temporarily sitting on un-mortared 4 inch solid blocks with a 2 inch cap (no mortar). This gives me the height I needed for now.
If I can "bump" a 500lb stove off of those blocks I need to go on a serious diet.;lol

Highbeam has a nice, simple setup.

Ideally I'd like to raise it about a foot. I was looking at my easy options. I measured the cut-out height at Lowe's and it was 8". Maybe they're not all the same. I dunno.

As far as bumping the stove goes, we're often wrestling large transmissions, differentials, engines, and motorcycles in and out of the basement. Sometimes on dollies. Things happen...

This thread is relevant to my interest: I hope to score a free wood stove to install in my shop and I plan to ensure that the firebox is at least 24" above the shop floor.

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.