1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Raising Wood

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by clearblue16, Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clearblue16

clearblue16 New Member

Loc:
    Seattle
    So i live in Seattle and have a wood storing question....I have always stacked my cordwood on top of "landscape timbers" which are treated 8' by 4" by 4"....the part of my backyard where i do this has the large flagstones with little cracks of dirt between the stones....i was thinking i could just stack the wood directly on the ground in my case? if the cord is raised you get more airflow i suppose but i was wondering if rot will stay away since the wood will be on dry stone for the most part? thoughts?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. vwboomer

vwboomer New Member

Loc:
    wisconsin
    I would say it's better than stacking on dirt or grass, but you're still going to be better off with the wood off the ground. Condensation, rain, etc will evaporate much quicker.
  3. Heem

Heem New Member

Loc:
    Connecticut
    raising it is not just to keep it off the wet ground, but to allow air to blow underneath it as well.
  4. madrone

madrone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just South of Portland, OR
    Given the amount of moisture the ground holds in this part of the world, I'd think that you'd experience some rot even on "dry" stone. Raising them does just what you say, provides airflow. I've found that even 2x4's make a difference vs. straight on concrete. Try both? You'll be able to see if they're staying too wet if you check them during the month of Summer.
  5. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    There is a blanket of moist air close to the ground so raising it up would be ideal but most people are not willing to have it a foot or two above ground. When I was storing my wood outside in the open, I would lay down a base of sacrifice Poplar and pile my good wood on top of that.
  6. clearblue16

clearblue16 New Member

Loc:
    Seattle
    good ideas! thanks
  7. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    I use wooden pallets to get a stable stack up off the ground in our wet climate which I think allow better air flow than even the timbers. You need air to flow under, around, and through the pile to get and keep the wood dry for burning. Setting them on the ground will prevent air flow and lead to moldy rotten wood.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    When we use something under the wood, we just go out in the woods and cut some saplings to use. But we don't always put something under the wood (when it is stacked on yellow sand that is a high point). Landscape timbers will also work very well. If you have them I'd suggest using them.
  9. Constrictor

Constrictor Member

Loc:
    Home of the white squirrel Missouri
    Thats what i do as well, but arent the pallets going to be a rotten mess after only one season?
  10. madrone

madrone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Just South of Portland, OR
    I doubt it, because they're kiln dried. It'll take longer to rot. I've used untreated 2x4's and not had them rot for a long time, even in our damp climate. But green wood on the ground will indeed begin to rot.
    It wouldn't hurt to replace them as you go, though, since they make great kindling.
  11. Duetech

Duetech Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S/W MI
    Constrictor,
    I've used good pallets for as many as many as 4-5 years but I placed the pallet ends on bricks or patio blocks. The blocks work best. The pallets have to be reset every season and the area cleaned of grass clippings, leaves and bark debris etc. Also when I had a good source for oak pallets I would burn the pallets as I went along so the area was easier to clean up.
  12. woodmeister

woodmeister New Member

Loc:
    lower ct. river
    whats the theory with those round stacks they look neat but are they effective, i think there called holtz housen?
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    The biggest theory is that the wood is supposed to season faster, but many say it doesn't. To me it always looks like it would take more work to stack it, therefore, I just stack in rows and let Mother Nature do the seasoning over time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.