Rake Coals Forward and Stove Start-up Pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntindog1

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2011
South Central Indiana
Here is a pictorial of Raking coals forward and loading stove.

Move your pointer over pic for pic name which is a description.

Attachments

• Coals Raked Forward.jpg
    Coals Raked Forward.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 2,184
  • One Split.jpg
    One Split.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 2,166
  • Two Split.jpg
    Two Split.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 2,153
  • 3rd Split.jpg
    3rd Split.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 2,120
  • Colas pushed back leveled.jpg
    Colas pushed back leveled.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 2,122
  • 2nd row 1st split.jpg
    2nd row 1st split.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 2,122
  • 2nd row 2nd split.jpg
    2nd row 2nd split.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 2,121
  • Kindling.jpg
    Kindling.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 2,117
Move your cursor over pic for pic name which describes the pics.

Orange thermo is stove top , brown is pipe.

the times are from the time stamp embedded in the pics

I used a fire starter to help things along.

Pics wont go in sequence in this post

Attachments

• Fire start stove top temp.jpg
    Fire start stove top temp.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,674
  • Fire Start pipe temp.jpg
    Fire Start pipe temp.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,655
  • Fire Start.jpg
    Fire Start.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 1,644
Reactions: Billybonfire
more pics
Times taken off time stamp embedded in pic data.

Attachments

• firestart 2nd view.jpg
    firestart 2nd view.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 1,656
  • starting good.jpg
    starting good.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 1,658
  • Starting good two.jpg
    Starting good two.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,646
  • starting good tubes not lit.jpg
    starting good tubes not lit.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 1,656
  • One minute later.jpg
    One minute later.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,640
  • back wood not burning yet.jpg
    back wood not burning yet.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,617
  • 8 minutes into burn stove top.jpg
    8 minutes into burn stove top.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,669
  • 8 minutes into burn flue temp.jpg
    8 minutes into burn flue temp.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 1,605
Interesting to see different setups.

Do you end up emptying out the ash every few days? Doesn't look like it holds all that much.

I've never measured on my stove, but I know I empty it when the ash is about level with the door opening and it fills a 5 gal pail.

I empty almost everyday as it doesnt hold much but the ash pan is nice as it doesnt get ash dust all over the place. Not sure why it doesnt as the back is a litle open but there must be a little vacuum going on with the access plate open in the bottom of the stove and the flue still warm it must draw upwards thru that whole to keep the ash dust down if there is any.

The coals and ashes you see is from 3 full loads.

Here is more pics as this site isnt letting me post them very well.

Stove got pretty hot at 31 minutes but closing the pipe damper cooled the stove top a little after these pics to around 750.

Notice the stove pipe damper closed all the way in the pipe thermo pic. Thats why there isnt much secondaries going on as I was trying to cool it down some.

Attachments

• 31 min air 100% closed stove top.jpg
    31 min air 100% closed stove top.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 1,534
  • 31min pipe notice damper closed 100%.jpg
    31min pipe notice damper closed 100%.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,519
  • Tubes burning view air and damper 100% closed.jpg
    Tubes burning view air and damper 100% closed.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,549
Well I did not want it that hot but my start was better than I thought as this new using kindling made of dry white oak really gets things hot fast. I was using in the past poplar kindling not as good and doesnt heat things as fast.

Here are some more pics as I was burning hot as this is gonna be one of the coldest nights of the year.

Wood burnt down pretty quick.

Attachments

• IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 1,401
  • IMG_0193.jpg
    IMG_0193.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,370
  • IMG_0194.jpg
    IMG_0194.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,423
That is a hot stove. Raking the coals is a good idea.

nice pictures of some good wood burning.
I can feel the heat :)

Great to see how different stoves react. That is one fast warm-up. If I ever saw those temps on my insert (Regency I-2400) I'd be in a whole lot of trouble. The end result is the same though, air closed down & cruising along, throwing out serious heat.

Ive been raking the coals forward on the Rangeley but not that much, im going to try that technique! Thanks for the pics

wow that looks allot like a englanger 30 with the door on backwards.

NATE379 said:

Do you end up emptying out the ash every few days? Doesn't look like it holds all that much.

I've never measured on my stove, but I know I empty it when the ash is about level with the door opening and it fills a 5 gal pail.

the princess really doesnt hold that much, its rather small, infact im kinda disappointed in it compared to what my king will hold. i would say i can hold almost as much ash in my englander as the princess.

my wife says she doesnt like that princess stove, she likes the king allot better, infact im kinda disappointed by the princess, i dont like the firebox size, and i dont like the way the door opens, its stupid the design of the door, opens to the left instead of folding down like the king we have. would be easy to spill stuff outa that princess, then its got all the junk in the top taking up the fire box (the cat and all the metal involved in housing it).

but what you gonna do. guess im gonna go buy another king, but this time it will be the king ultra cat king.

NATE379 said:

the princess really doesnt hold that much, its rather small, infact im kinda disappointed in it compared to what my king will hold. i would say i can hold almost as much ash in my englander as the princess.

my wife says she doesnt like that princess stove, she likes the king allot better, infact im kinda disappointed by the princess, i dont like the firebox size, and i dont like the way the door opens, its stupid the design of the door, opens to the left instead of folding down like the king we have. would be easy to spill stuff outa that princess, then its got all the junk in the top taking up the fire box (the cat and all the metal involved in housing it).

but what you gonna do. guess im gonna go buy another king, but this time it will be the king ultra cat king.

Good pictures and technique. I am learning more all the time.

I wanted to point out something on my pics. In the second post of pics you can see the little fire started I put in the kindling even tho the kindling was on hot coals.

The fire started will get things going even fast as it burns the coals get air sucked thru them and the coals heat up much quicker. This adds to the burn even more.

As this technique with the kindling is all about getting the heat up fast in the stove so you dont burn too much of the big stuff in the back for a longer burn time.

Its like building your own burn chamber up in the top and front of the stove. Then it burns front to back.

Huntindog1 said:
more pics
Times taken off time stamp embedded in pic data.

WOW! From 200°F to 500°F in 8 minutes! That is fast...

yes thats what dry small split oak does on hot coals and a fire starter to boot. I used to use lower quality poplar for kindling, doesnt give the same results.

Plus might I add the back of the box is full up to the air tubes and the front and top is the only open air so the small area heats up quicker.

Well looking back at the pics i could have got it a little fuller.

Since making those pics I found out that stove top thermometer above 600 degrees is not in line with my infrared thermo but below 600 its pretty accurate. That stove wasnt getting too 900.

You done a good job.

Once it gets a little cooler around here im going to give this a a shot. Winter is coming back so it wont be to long.

Great timeline. Thanks for posting.
Wish my grandpa bear would warm up that fast.

Wow, pretty cool, thanks for that next time I reload, I'm gonna try it that way and see how it works out for me.

corey21 said:

Why is raking the coals a good idea? Given that different stoves have different air flows etc, does that make a difference? for instance I have a down draft Resolute Acclaim which feeds the secondary cumbustor (Cat) from the lower rear. Would I still rake coals forward?

I see that rake coals forward a lot on here, but not why.

corey21 said:

Why is raking the coals a good idea? Given that different stoves have different air flows etc, does that make a difference? for instance I have a down draft Resolute Acclaim which feeds the secondary cumbustor (Cat) from the lower rear. Would I still rake coals forward?

I see that rake coals forward a lot on here, but not why.

Not sure about your situation but most of these front loading firebrick lined burn tubes in the top epa certified stoves, its basically getting part of your load of wood off hot coals so you can load all the way to the bottom of the stove. Loading all the way to the bottom I can get 3 medium sized splits instead of just 2 splits if they were raised up on the coals. Plus by the wood not being on hot coals that wood wont be burning for a while , your basically getting the front of the stove burning then it will burn its way back to the back of the stove but that will take some time and this will increase your burn times. Plus some people are worried about the stove getting too hot as if you load all the wood on hot coals the thing takes off and can be burning much more wood all at one time and could possible create an over fire condition.

Reactions: Mitch Newton
Status
Not open for further replies.