1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Rake Coals Forward and Stove Start-up Pictures

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Huntindog1, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Oldhippie

Oldhippie Minister of Fire

Got it! I'm going to give that a try, my airflow is different, so it might not work the same, but.. I might even look in the manual and see what they say.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Also if you rake the coals forward you can achieve a cigar burn. With all the wood on the coal the wood will out gas all at once this is good if you need quick heat. But if you want long burn rake the coals forward this really slows things down a lot. Sometimes i dont rake the coals forward just all depends on what suits one user to the next.
  3. RIJEEP

RIJEEP Member

Loc:
    Lil' Rhody
    Thanks to the OP in sharing this technique. Very well documented. I'm looking forward to trying it!
  4. robertjp

robertjp Member

Loc:
    Western NY
    OK so basically by raking the coals forward and putting the wood on the brick itself, it slows everything down so the wood can burn longer?
  5. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    Yes, by raking the coals forward some of the wood is not placed on hot coals so it doesn't light right away. That gives a somewhat slower burn. although in this case it sure wasn't very slow! I am going to make some oak kindling and give it a try.
  6. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Another thing that helps is to close the air sooner.
  7. MnDave

MnDave Guest

This is definitely bumpworthy. Nice job Huntindog1.

MnDave
  8. Mackj

Mackj New Member

Loc:
    Fruitport MI
    I am getting far better burns now with this technique. Just tried it the first time about 2 weeks ago. Go to bed at 10 up at 5 nice bed of coals. I have been experimenting every night with different wood combos, sizes, and shapes. 1 of several tricks I learned directly from this site!
  9. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton Member

Loc:
    Beavercreek, Ohio
    Nice load!!