Raking coals to front on a side loader?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinewoodburner

Feeling the Heat
Jan 29, 2008
Va.
Can any one recommend a good tool or how they rake the coals the the front of the stove with a side loading door? Most tools seem to be made for pushing or pulling, not going to the side. Thanks. Jeff

The poker I've got from my junky hardware-store tool set seems quite adequate to drag left-to-right, pushing the coals fwd while not bulldozing a lot of ash up front with it. I just wish i could keep the damn thing from unscrewing all the time - need to find some high-temp loc-tite or something.

I have gotten quite good at this activity using a piece of kindling 12" long, .5" wide, and about one inch thick. If the coals and stove are pretty hot then I grab the welding glove to help with the pain. I push the firebox contents including ash to the back and then flick the coals forward to the front.

Status
Not open for further replies.