Ram full of this find, please id...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram 1500 with an axe...

Minister of Fire
Mar 26, 2013
New Jersey
I just picked up a load of this off the street, I think it's red oak but I'm not 100% sure. Thanks... image.jpg image.jpg

Hmmm, the Mulberry I got has different looking bark

Attachments

• IMG_20130307_181529.jpg
    IMG_20130307_181529.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_20130307_181824.jpg
    IMG_20130307_181824.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 173
Reactions: ScotO
Yes, the wood looks a lot like mulberry but the bark doesnt. But it definitely isn't red oak either. Got me stumped. >>

Might be honey locust, was it hard and heavy with a honey like medicinal smell?

Im leaning toward oak 40% or elm 60%.

Honey Locust, for sure.

Reactions: ScotO and blujacket
Sure looks like the red oak I have here. Limb or juvenile trunk pieces

Can't say what it is, but it's not oak. Big rays would be obvious if it were.

Looks like honey locust, maybe the "engineered" thornless type used for landscaping. Did it have giant man eating spikey thorns growing from the trunk?

It was a limb, that was sitting on ground for 6 months, then someone cleaned it up, put it near the curb and I picked it up. I'd did smell really bad in the middle, it was quite difficult to split, the fiskars bounced off and the 8 # maul took a few swings to split it. No idea if truck had spikes. Also that size piece is quite heavy. Thanks for all your help.....keep posting if possible

The Honeylocust we have around here is yellow inside, not that golden-brown color but the bark looks like it could be Honeylocust? Wow, tough one.....what kind of aroma does it have?

Also guess honey locust.

Looks like honey locust, maybe the "engineered" thornless type used for landscaping. Did it have giant man eating spikey thorns growing from the trunk?

Like this mean SOB:
locust.jpg

Reactions: smokinj and ScotO
Looks like pignut hickory!

Reactions: HittinSteel
I'm going to say hickory too. Looks like the hickory I have split. Is there a purple haze on any if it?

After some search online, I am leaning towards hickory...

bark dosn't look right for honey locust , I don't remeber the heart wood so dark., Im thinking hickory

JIM

The Pignut I had, had pretty smotth bark? Here is a pic of one split (inside looks right).

But the next pic, notice the 11 rounds (3 are Ash) the 8 smooth ones are the Pignut?
2012-07-07_17-05-45_502.jpg 2012-07-06_20-41-50_292.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.