Ran Over My Chainsaw Today

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kestrel

Nov 17, 2009
Southcentral PA
Bet you've never seen that thread title before.

On my way to cut today and thought I had put the saw in the back of the truck. Upon arriving at the cutting site my saw was not in the back of the truck. Retraced my steps and found the saw laying in the road covered with mud. Not good. Apparently I had left it on top of the Tonneau cover on the truck bed. It fell down and was run over by my wood trailer. 16" bar looks as crooked as a dog's hind leg. Luckily I had a spare bar and away I went.

First day of 2012. Not a good sign. Maybe the Mayans were right after all.

Saw still works :)
Gonna be a good year :)

No, the Mayans were not right. The mistake you made is called getting distracted. Been there a few times too. How many of you guys have been there! :lol:

Now I will tell you about one of mine. I came out of the house with my daughter one day, many years ago. We were in a conversation where I was really trying to get my point across. We both walked out to my truck, got in and strapped on our seat belts. (Now the truck was about 75' from the door, so I have no excuse.) I started the truck, put it in reverse and proceeded to back into my girlfriends car. :lol: Luckily for me, and my girlfriend at the time, the truck was very close to her car, and I did not get going fast. Had no time to. :lol: No damage, just a big feeling of stupidity on my part. My daughter and I had a good laugh, and then I proceeded to tell her that if she told anyone....... :lol:

kestrel said:
First day of 2012. Not a good sign. Maybe the Mayans were right after all.

When 12/21/12 rolls around, I predict that an ancient Mayan will come out of a cave, add a '1' to the front of the calendar, then go back in the cave.

Glad the saw still works!

Could have been much worse. Glad the saw was okay.

Don't do that again!

Had a close call with my Bobcat once, I was pushing over trees and forgot where I set down my chain saw and must have come within a foot of it, luck on my side.

I am still not sure about the 2012 thing, I have been following it for a long time. The thing that blows my mind is how they could predict eciplses this far into the future and know that the galaxy had a center and the sun will pass through the center on that day. Alien help? Pretty wierd, and hope they were wrong.

that would make a real cool superbowl commercial. have it end with you stepping thru the mud and starting it up.

GolfandWoodNut said:
Had a close call with my Bobcat once, I was pushing over trees and forgot where I set down my chain saw and must have come within a foot of it, luck on my side.

I am still not sure about the 2012 thing, I have been following it for a long time. The thing that blows my mind is how they could predict eciplses this far into the future and know that the galaxy had a center and the sun will pass through the center on that day. Alien help? Pretty wierd, and hope they were wrong.

Of the galaxy? Then it had better "engage warp drive" since we're waaaaay out on a far distant spiral arm of our galaxy. Light-years don't come easy. Does that trip end at the super-massive black-hole? Not good.

If the Mayans were so brilliant, how did they get "cancelled" so to speak. And Von Daniken's conjecture? Right, right next to Bermuda Triangle.

About a month ago I ran over my chainsaw too! I didn't post anything because I was too embarassed! I had set the saw behind the truck and totally forgot about it. Then I had to back up a bit to get back on the road. When I pulled forward I heard something dragging behind the truck. Yes it was the saw. Luckily it got caught underneath the middle of the truck and didn't get under the wheels. After swearing up a storm, I check it out. Amazingly the bar was not bent and everything still worked. So it does happen - and we all get distracted or forgetful every now and then.

As for the Mayans getting cancelled, their brilliance in astronomy really wouldn't protect them from disease and wars with other, stronger groups (Aztecs). There are still Mayans in Mexico, and they will tell you that the world will NOT end this year. I hope they are right otherwise I've wasted all this time getting 2 years ahead on wood!

I spent 3 years in the Peace Corps in Guatemala. The Mayans are definetly still around. Many of them still maintain their Mayan cultures and religions. There are actually 35 differnet Mayan languages spoken down there. Many of these folks do not speak Spanish. Completely un-westernized. There are also many Mayans (racially) who have given up the indigineous culture and are westernized.

BTW, I hope everyone realizes that the opening comments about the Maya were made tongue-in-cheek.

Whoa! Snowleopard, that must have been one very sorry man! Explain that one when you get home!

As for the chainsaw, I just ran over mine, I think it was last week. I was on the atv and thought I must have backed over a log. Not so! Saw was unharmed though. Only my pride was hurt.

This spring I was pulling trees out of my woods with my backhoe when it started to rain. I threw the chains I was pulling the trees with and my chainsaw into the front bucket. When I got back to my house, I thought to myself, "I should curl the bucket over so the chain will stay dry." As soon as I did it I realized what I had done. My dad had bought the chainsaw, a Stihl 361 for me. I was sick to my stomach. The parts to fix it were more than the cost of a new saw. I was to embarrased to tell anyone about it for a while. Now I am the owner of a new Stihl 362 which by the way is no where near the saw that the 361 was.

Its better to run over a saw, than to have a saw run over you. :cheese:

CTYank said:
GolfandWoodNut said:

Of the galaxy? Then it had better "engage warp drive" since we're waaaaay out on a far distant spiral arm of our galaxy. Light-years don't come easy. Does that trip end at the super-massive black-hole? Not good.

If the Mayans were so brilliant, how did they get "cancelled" so to speak. And Von Daniken's conjecture? Right, right next to Bermuda Triangle.
CTYank, when I say the Sun will pass through the center, this means once every 26000 years the sun moves through the black center of the milky way, as viewed from earth. Everyone else thought the earth was flat and they Mayans knew there was a galaxy with a dark center, they called it the dark rift, where they claim all life planets, etc came from. And this has been confirmed by scientists that there is a super massive black hole in the center, but we only figured that out about 10 years ago. How did they know? How did they know venus would eclipse the sun this year? They didn't even have a wheel and they knew all this? If people do not think there is life other places in the universe, I feel sorry for them. It is too huge.

Not to tell bad stories... but, I had purchased an MS290 and brought it to an afternoon of cutting at a friend of a friends land. My good friend Tom picked it up and started cutting a large ash tree. (I should have said something to him, but didn't see the harm in him using it) then we warned him that the tree looked very suspicious and leaning. He disagreed and made the cut, with my new saw. The 36" diameter ash tree pinched the saw as it fell backwards and Tom let go of it to get out of the way. I watched the tree roll right over the saw and crush it, landing on top of it. I was able to buy a new tank and housing online, repair the saw and I still use it today. Lucky the only thing hurt were feelings and they healed quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.