Ran The Insert Without The Fan...How It Worked

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I'd see how well the Quad 5100i would operate without the fan running in case we had a power failure like a lot of the folks in Oklahoma. Would I freeze my arsf off? I was kinda scared to try it, for fear of disappointment and failure, for I really like this stove. Well, I was surprised in a good way. Here's how it went. Outside temp. was 27 degrees at 6 AM. Inside the house was 65 degrees. Fired the stove up (it's in the den) and settled it in to a medium burn with intake air around 70% open. Nice average fire. Didn't want to push the stove to extremely hot...felt like that's not real world firing, so I kept it just a good medium. The area I wanted to heat is about 1100 sq. ft. That includes the den, living room, dinning room, and kitchen. It is a fairly open concept with each room having over-sized openings going into them. Den has a cathedral ceiling. After 2 hours, the room temperatures are as follows: Den--72 degrees, kitchen--70, dinning room--69, living room--69. Added 3 more logs (18x5) to the fire at this time and after a total of 3 hours burn time the den was 73 degrees, kitchen 71, dinning room 70, living room 70. At this point, I ended the test for that's warm enough for me. BTW, the hallway and bedrooms were 67 degrees, to my suprise. Outside temperature add risen to 33 degrees.

If I'd had the fan on (insert blower fan) it would have been around 3 to 4 degrees warmer in the surrounding rooms, using my judgement from past fires and outside temps. And that's a lot. However, I'm more than satisfied with how this stove will perform in an emergency condition. We will stay warm and eat good. All of you have a great weekend.

Stickburner

stick burner said:
Thought I'd see how well the Quad 5100i would operate without the fan running in case we had a power failure like a lot of the folks in Oklahoma. Would I freeze my arsf off? I was kinda scared to try it, for fear of disappointment and failure, for I really like this stove. Well, I was surprised in a good way. Here's how it went. Outside temp. was 27 degrees at 6 AM. Inside the house was 65 degrees. Fired the stove up (it's in the den) and settled it in to a medium burn with intake air around 70% open. Nice average fire. Didn't want to push the stove to extremely hot...felt like that's not real world firing, so I kept it just a good medium. The area I wanted to heat is about 1100 sq. ft. That includes the den, living room, dinning room, and kitchen. It is a fairly open concept with each room having over-sized openings going into them. Den has a cathedral ceiling. After 2 hours, the room temperatures are as follows: Den--72 degrees, kitchen--70, dinning room--69, living room--69. Added 3 more logs (18x5) to the fire at this time and after a total of 3 hours burn time the den was 73 degrees, kitchen 71, dinning room 70, living room 70. At this point, I ended the test for that's warm enough for me. BTW, the hallway and bedrooms were 67 degrees, to my suprise. Outside temperature add risen to 33 degrees.

If I'd had the fan on (insert blower fan) it would have been around 3 to 4 degrees warmer in the surrounding rooms, using my judgement from past fires and outside temps. And that's a lot. However, I'm more than satisfied with how this stove will perform in an emergency condition. We will stay warm and eat good. All of you have a great weekend.

Stickburner

go to walmart buy the fan that runs on batteries or you can plug it in ista about 10 bucks and d batt.. i have 2 just in case i lose power i will take the surround panel off and have the fan blow in it which will allow all the heat to come out plus the radiant heat as you mentioned ealier...just fyi

Status
Not open for further replies.