Ran through my stash already for the season!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

briansol

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2009
central ct
Just a few bags left already. burned through my new 2.3 tons and my last year leftover 10 bags already. a half ton should bring me through late march/1st week of april at which point i'll be done burning for the season.

I'm thinking about trying Potomac's. They are the cheapest 'good' pellet at my local distributor at the moment by $15 a ton (235 vs 250 for cubex vs 260 for oakies). Jay tested them and liked them I think most of the cold is behind us now. The low lows are done anyway. I hope. Weather looks like lows 40's in the day time already and very few teens, mostly 20s, for the overnights.

The oakies have been good for me, but they are too hot now i think and aren't really worth spending the extra money on this late in the season when it's only getting warmer every day. I'm planning to stock up more when they are cheaper (hopefully) in a few more weeks.

Actually the Potomacs should be even better than my test. The ones I tested were an early batch that had fines issues. Also found some tooth pick like chips in the bags. So if you get better results please post your comments. Just love the pellet chatting. :)

Lots of folks have used more that the norm this season. Definetly not a normal winter!

While your picking up some Potomacs, Ask for a couple of bags of the Corinth, The latest batch was pretty hot in my pellet eater. I was rather impressed by them.

I've already burned 4.5 tons The prior two years, I burned 5 tons each year. Last year was mild and the winter was shorter. The year before I burned more oil. Now I have learned to keep the thermostat set on 65 F for the furnace to kick in as back up. Still am managing to keep the living areas up to 70-74 and the not to worry about the back bedrooms, 67-70. Wife has been adjusting slowly to this change. If she could have it her way it would never get below 76 F. Took her shoping for warm clothing last fall. Ran out of my stock of MWP and and to dig into my stash of Canadian Energex. Had to reset the stove for that "sweet spot" for this pellet. Good heat, but more ash. I'll be going back for MWP for next season if the price remains reasonable.

I had a few 'toothpicks' in my oakies that i noticed, and my stove ate 'em whole with no issues. My auger has a cutting blade on it, so length or odd shards are really a non-issue for me. I'm sure i couldn't shove a 'log' in there, but a toothpick shouldn't be an issue :D

my local Mobil on the Run has Corinth's out front.... i always equated them with garbage for the price (same price as cubex at most stores around here) so i never bothered.

Got to ask for the latest batch on the Corinths. Much improved for a low buck pellet. They stepped it up to rival the MWP that also did pretty darn well for a low dollar brand!

Get what you burns hot, pellets are going up next year so okies or cubex may cost more now but you will have half ton for next year at a cheaper price ... that said you could have a half ton for the shoulder season too! ...lol
I am buying the better stuff now because I can't see 300 a ton no way! ..

I was planning to wait a few for the 'spring sale' instead of stocking up now.

briansol said:
I was planning to wait a few for the 'spring sale' instead of stocking up now.

How close are you to bloomfield? That lowes still had Greene team as of yest..

at what price? I'm a half hour or so from Bloomfield.

WOW! Why didn't I buy these sooner?

I picked up 10 bags to try them today from BT.

These Potomac's are throwing heat like Oakies. No toothpicks that I noticed, no DUST issues like Oakies have either, and these smell pretty good too. Smaller pellets, similar to Oakies in size.

And, they are significantly cheaper at my local dealer (235 vs 260) as well.

I think i just found my 'stock up soon' pellet for the spring rush.

briansol said:
at what price? I'm a half hour or so from Bloomfield.

209 but no more Greene team northern something pellets now

Status
Not open for further replies.