Ranch newbie needs wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

O Never Done

Mar 21, 2018
Upstate NY
Ranch newbie needs wood stove Ranch newbie needs wood stove
Hi. Thanks to all for teaching me about wood stoves. I read way too much now time to post so my head can stop spinning.

I feel I need something like Jøtul Castine 400 or albeit less attractive pacific energy small to mid size unit like the Newcastle. Also not totally against cat stove. I’m not even sure if the 400 is convective but I probably want convective as to not get too overheated.
Also don’t love soapstone look. But a expert mentioned a new hearthstone coming out with the stones internalized.

I plan to burn for ambiance and fun and supplementary for now. I work 1 mile away with flexible Lunch breaks for stoking....

We have a 8 ft ceiling ranch see pics. Stove will go against stairwell a change from floor plan Open floor plan but there is a 10” header beam that will trap some air and long hallway. So not much heat to bedrooms :(

Living room 270 sf. Kitchen 260 sf. Dining 150 sq ft. This area heat can easily reach I think. Then mud room 270 sf office 144 sf a little.
Hallway 70 sf plus other rooms and master total another 1000 sf but not sure I even count them.

Full basement insulated to 2005 specs.mud room is stepped down.

Was into those fancy rais, stuv, uprights at first but came to my senses with burn time log length and output...

Any help in narrowing down. Or adding to contenders will be helpful.

Looks are important which puts the Jøtul 400 Castine up front. Setbacks important too...

Thanks for all your help

Last edited by a moderator:
The F400 is a radiant, cast iron stove.

The stove is an area heater. If heat is desired in the living area then that's the best place to put it in. Have you considered the option of installing the stove (or an insert) in the fireplace?

If the stove will be in the basement, where will the chimney be and is the expectation to heat the basement and part of the main floor? If so you will want a 3 cu ft stove there.

The F400 is a radiant, cast iron stove.

The stove is an area heater. If heat is desired in the living area then that's the best place to put it in. Have you considered the option of installing the stove (or an insert) in the fireplace?

If the stove will be in the basement, where will the chimney be and is the expectation to heat the basement and part of the main floor? If so you will want a 3 cu ft stove there.

No stove in basement. I mentioned basement as a bit of info. Climate is upstate ny so most homes have full basement with some insulation.

The “fireplace is actually just a sketch up idea on floor plan”. And for a while we were considering it in that spot. My first look was the focus insert by rsf.

There is actually nothing in that spot yet. It doesn’t seem to be a great option for us as we were looking to make that a tv wall and I was liking stove more.

Ranch newbie needs wood stove
When I look up Jøtul stoves radiant vs convective it’s hard to tell which are “space heaters”

They seem to market this type of info. See pic.

All stoves are area heaters. The Castine is a good looking stove and a good heater. If you are just heating the core area of upstairs then it will work out ok base on the described operation. There are several others in this class, such as the Hearthstone Shelburne, Hampton H300, Morso 3610. Then there are a group of more convective, medium sized cast iron jacketed stoves like the Quadrafire Explorer II, Enviro Boston, Pacific Energy Alderlea T5, Jotul F45, etc.

What should be mentioned is that Travis Industries ended their Avalon line and many dealers have a "close out" sale on Avalon stoves which they have in their inventory. You might get a great deal.

Reactions: O Never Done
Thanks for the insight. I looked into the convection stoves mentioned.
I'm having a Jotul & Pacific Energy dealer come out( The radiant F400 Castine and a few convection PE models are frontrunners) for a preinstall meeting to look at layout, chimney placement and get any recommendations.

I'm considering

I have some questions:
On Jotul radiant stoves. They almost always have a fire screen insert available as an accessory. When burning these Jotul radiant style stoves with fire screens, does it get smokey with the door open ? Seems like fun to burn with door open and hear the sound of the fire during holidays and family time, etc????

Additionally, in some of the Morsoe literature for their 1410 & 1440 models squirrel ; the last page of the manual has some safety tips:
"How to heat safely for the environment and yourself"
"Never Burn Overnight"
Are you not supposed to burn overnight in some stoves ???

Another question when looking into stoves. THe Rais Q-tee II mentions "Refueling should be undertaken every hour."
That seems to me too often, so I basically crossed that off the list.

The Morsos and the Rais you are looking at are tiny stoves. They are room and small heaters which is more common in Europe. The Morso 3610 was their med-large stove. It's no longer sold here. All they sell now in the US are 1 cu ft and smaller stoves. You would be hard pressed to get an overnight burn out of them.

FWIW, most people that get a fireplace screen for their stove use it once or twice, then it gathers dust behind the stove.

I found a F3CB used on craigslist and may make an offer. They dont have much info, as they just bought a house with it installed.

They told me the serial number is p-3-kat.nr.102860.u.

It looks like it has the curved handle. so 1995 - ..... Anyone out ther know what year this serial number means? for Jotul F3 CB

Thanks