Rancher 55. Good Saw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Bigwood

Dec 13, 2005
Dowling, MI
Hello!
I am thinking about purchasing a used "Husquvarna Rancher 55". I thought I'd try and get some feed back first.....
Any one have experience with this saw? I have the option of buying the saw for $200.00 bucks. This includes 18" bar
new plug, new fuel filter, and a new sprocket. The chain is in good condition but I would buy another one any way. No manual, no case.

Thanks!!!!!

Doc

Doc, I have the 455 and like it a lot. I've had it for about 7 months & 8 cords. So far no problems at all. The saw runs great and easily handles anything I've tried it on. I think an 18" blade should be good. Mine came with a 20" blade and that's just too long for a part-time wood scrounger like me. The next big load I cut up, I'm putting a 16" blade on. If the saw is in good mechanical condition and doesn't appear to have been beaten, I think $200.00 is a good price.

I run a 55 Rancher and really enjoy cutting with the saw. I purchased the saw new with a 20" bar on the internet with no sales tax or shipping for $227.00 it was the best price I could find. Of course now the 455 is the replacement for the 55 Rancher. I use my Rancher as the (big :eek:) saw for cutting and bucking the larger rounds 16" plus. I keep the chain very sharp and still am quite impressed how the little bugger flys through the wood. I know there are lighter and more powerful saws out there but when I factored the price in there was no comparison. So I'd say yes the 55 Rancher is a good saw.

If I knew the history of the saw I would be comfortable buying for that price.

Good point DavidV. From what I could tell from the description it seems that the saw was used by a home owner for land maintenance.
The pictures show no dents or scratches. I have read reviews online that claim that this saw can be hard to start. But I think that the people who submitted those reviews got frustrated easily. Maybe they didn't use the choke the correct way.? I appreciate all of your coments!

Doc

I wonder what they meant by hard to start? Hard to pull over or took too many pulls to get it started. I get mine started and stays running by the 6th pull or less on a cold start and after that one short quick pull the rest of the day. I have a saw with a primer bulb that I can get started on the first or second pull but rarely can keep it running. Needs a longer warm up than my Husky. If the review was referring to the hard to pull over than none of them has tried to start a 600cc snowmobile at -30f now that's hard to pull over.

Goodness yes! That is hard to pull...... I am not 100% sure what the reviewers were reffering to. I think it was too many pulls w/no start.
Wouldn't you agree that most 2 cycle engines can be a bit finicky until you learn it's "personality"???? You have to learn by "trial and error" the most effective way to start a two cycle engine...?? Some engines like to be choked for 2 pulls, other's choked 3 pulls ect....

Doc

Yeah I have to agree that two strokes do have different personalities. Once you get the learning curve down it's much easier to get them going.

I've got a straight 1998 Model 55 and I'm very happy with it. $200 is a good price for that saw if it's in good condition. Last summer I cut about 30 cords with mine, and I intend to do about that much again this coming summer.

I appreciate your feed back Eric, especially since I bought the saw! I bought it from a dealer and it seems to be in tip top shape.

I'll probably give it a test run this weekend..... Can't wait!!!!!

Doc

Status
Not open for further replies.