Random Grab Bag....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

certified106

Minister of Fire
Oct 22, 2010
Athens, Ohio
Found this on craigslist. The power company trimmed some lines and I was able to get a truckload of assorted wood. probably about a1/4 cherry, with some locust, poplar, and Sycamore. Not the best wood but it all burns I guess.

Attachments

• 2011-04-10_15-00-40_53.jpg
    2011-04-10_15-00-40_53.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 486
  • 2011-04-10_15-00-54_798.jpg
    2011-04-10_15-00-54_798.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 489
certified106 said:
Found this on craigslist. The power company trimmed some lines and I was able to get a truckload of assorted wood. probably about a1/4 cherry, with some locust, poplar, and Sycamore. Not the best wood but it all burns I guess.

Looks good certified106. Is the Cherry the rounds without the bark?

Zap

Looks like $$ saved an a warm house in the back of the truck to me.

zapny said:
certified106 said:

Zap

No the Cherry is in the bottom of the truck as it was the first thing I went for. I'm thinking the rounds without the bark are Ash as it doen't look like the typical poplar I have seen. The stuff without the bark could be burned now it's riduculously dry.

MarkinNC said:
Looks like $$ saved an a warm house in the back of the truck to me.
My sentiments exactly

Cert looks like a great haul to me! Locust and Cherry are both good firewoods the other stuff is good to mix in..

Ray

Looks like good wood to me....and ash is a good burner too, but I'm not sure how many btu's are in that hand cart?

muncybob said:
Looks like good wood to me....and ash is a good burner too, but I'm not sure how many btu's are in that hand cart?

Haha, I have tried cutting it up to see how well it burns but it sure played heck on my chain so I gave up. What can I say I try to keep my back out of the wood equation as much as possible so every time I scrounge I take the hand cart and a ramp so I can wheel the bigger rounds to the truck and roll them right up where I want them. It may take a little longer that way but I can walk the next day so I guess it's a win win for me :)

That's a pretty good haul certified. Nice going.

certified106 said:
Not the best wood but it all burns I guess.
Good shoulder or starter wood...

certified106 said:
I take the hand cart and a ramp so I can wheel the bigger rounds to the truck and roll them right up where I want them. It may take a little longer that way but I can walk the next day

Don't the wheels bury? I think the wheels on my cart must be smaller than yours. Maybe they make one with tires like Zap has on his trailer. Nice score, bringing home the lessers lets you save the good stuff for when you need it.

zapny said:
certified106 said:

Zap

Anyone else find that cherry just doesn't give up the bark? Seem to stay tight forever (sorry for the hijack). Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
zapny said:
certified106 said:

Zap

Anyone else find that cherry just doesn't give up the bark? Seem to stay tight forever (sorry for the hijack). Cheers!

Now that you mention it I can't remeber any of the cherry I have giving up it bark even after seasoning for a year or two.

Anyone else find that cherry just doesn't give up the bark? Seem to stay tight forever (sorry for the hijack). Cheers![/quote]

Now that you mention it I can't remeber any of the cherry I have giving up it bark even after seasoning for a year or two.[/quote]

Same here - even after nearly 3 years, the bark is still tight on my cherry splits - only the 'scales' flake off easily. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.