Random samplings from a piglet

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gweeper64

Feb 25, 2009
Central MA
I've still been sampling different brands, totally unscientifically; just "seat of the pants impressions".

Latest burns:

Vermont Wood Pellet: Wow! Very nice. Every bit the equal of Okanagan as Jay found in his tests. Comparable heat and very low ash. And, at least for me, the amount of dust I'm finding in the room was not anything unusual. Granted, I only burned 3 bags so far so. But, that was the only "gripe" we had with the Okanagan's last year as the dust gave my wife's asthma some problems. Also, for you AE owners, just as I found with the Okanagan's last year, I found that I got a stronger, hotter burn by using the Sunflower setting with the Vermonts. The difference is amazing. The flame is lazy otherwise, and the glass will be black after only one bag (just like my experience with Oakies last year). Using "sunflower" setting, as cold as it is right now outside (19F right now), the room temperature still rises fairly quickly even on "low" heat setting. Maybe I will try posting some comparision videos so you can see the difference some time.

Blazers: Double Wow! These are absolutely pellets with the least amount of ash I have ever burned so far. Not only was there just a tiny amount of ash in the pan after two bags, but the amount of fly ash in the firebox was the lowest of anything I have ever tried. I bet I could go a week in the middle of the coldest part of the season without having to clean (I normally do twice a week). I burned the Blazers on the normal softwood setting and they burned well (better than Oakies or Vermont for that setting), but I still had to set the flame height adjustment on the lowest possible setting. I probably should have tried these on sunflower setting too just to see the difference, but I didn't. If I ever get some again, I will experiment. But at $7.00/bag I won't be buying them often.

Very nice comparision Gweeper64. You seem to have a good handle on the MT Vernon AE. And I now know the Blazers weren't a fluke. Yes there pricey But now you know what some of the best stuff on earth is. And they aren't the top dogs of the DF's either. We can only amagine what Bear Mountains would be like.

Could you try some Hamers as well for us? I have heard some are getting clinkers from them. I just bet they might require the sunflower setting. They are as dense as the better softwoods. I have also heard some say Okies clinkered on them. But I just have this hunch its the density throwing a curve at them. Cubex maybe another. But with these dense fuels, I figure its less fuel and more air to cure it(not just more air as the fuel might just be over powering). That could be the sunflower setting on the AE?

Does Quad have much info on the fuel curves for the different settings on the AE?

I'd love to try some Hamers but I have never seen them locally. If anyone knows within say 30 or 40 miles of Worcester, MA to get them, let me know. Same with Cubex or its mill relatives (Comfort and Northern?) I have not seen them either but would like to try them too.

When I asked Quad (in an email last year) about how the various fuel settings affect the fuel/air ratio, they claimed "proprietary information" and wouldn't share it. My instinct though is that it is just changing the air and the "heat output" level (5 levels between low and high) affects the fuel feed rate which is a set rate for each level (I think "Low" being about 1.8lbs/hour up to 6lbs/hour on high if I recall what the manual said correctly). Then the "flame height adjustment" is just a limited fine tune on the air. I don't know for sure, but that is what it seems like to me.

BTU, thanks. I have also heard in the past that they would only sell pellets to people that bought stoves from them. Maybe that was during the 2008/2009 season when things were nuts and prices were relatively high. I'll give them a call.

Holstein - thanks. The Lauzon web site also lists a place in Ashburnham. If Shrewsbury doesn't work out, I might be taking a ride tomorrow.

How about Hamers? Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.