Random South Texas Pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rdust

Minister of Fire
Feb 9, 2009
Michigan
Here are a some miscellaneous pictures from my Texas trip. Some are a bit blurred since I took them from a moving vehicle/plane.

DSC_0060_362.jpg

DSC_0062_364.jpg

DSC_0099_399.jpg

DSC_0081_381.jpg

DSC_0080_380.jpg

DSC_0293_593.jpg

DSC_0299_599.jpg

DSC_0380_678.jpg

Few shots from the plane

DSC_0401_699.jpg

DSC_0403_701.jpg

DSC_0404_702.jpg

DSC_0412_710.jpg

DSC_0415_713.jpg

DSC_0420_718.jpg

Rdust great pictures, looks like you had a nice time.

zap

Cool Rdust

What kind of tree is that?

Billy

zapny said:

zap

It was fun, miles of nothing followed by more miles of nothing. I swear I could see the curve of the earth at times since I could see so far. It's funny when you look out and see nothing but miles of telephone poles. :lol:

Cowboy Billy said:
Cool Rdust

Billy

My wife's family was calling them century tree's, not sure if that's the proper name or not. They said that's what they called them since they didn't bloom on a regular basis.

That's a mega - yucca!

Jags said:
Texas has water??? Who knew! :)

I know it's hard to tell since oil wasn't in the water but that's the gulf. :) As of yesterday they had 4 inches dumped on them from Alex.

BeGreen said:
That's a mega - yucca!

That's what my wife said when we drove by one. "Mom stop, that's the biggest yucca I've ever seen, it was taller then the house" Her mom then told her it wasn't a yucca but a century tree.

rdust said:
It was fun, miles of nothing followed by more miles of nothing. I swear I could see the curve of the earth at times since I could see so far. It's funny when you look out and see nothing but miles of telephone poles. :lol:

But have you ever seen so much sky at night in your life?

BrotherBart said:
But have you ever seen so much sky at night in your life?

As my dad says you can see the sun setting and the moon rising at the same time and it looks like you can reach out and touch them both.

Went to visit a friend who lives in Longview.
I ask him why they call it Longview and he brings me to the knoll from whence the town was named.

rdust said:
zapny said:

zap

Cowboy Billy said:
Cool Rdust

Billy

My wife's family was calling them century tree's, not sure if that's the proper name or not. They said that's what they called them since they didn't bloom on a regular basis.

Yes, it is a century plant.....not a tree at all. Or, Agave americana, commonly known as the Century Plant. They are in blossom right now. We saw lots of them in Texas but also see them throughout the SW. Sometimes you will see them further north but I don't know how much freezing they can take. Most agave won't take a whole lot of freezing.

Status
Not open for further replies.