Random things I have worked on this week.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stove keeps blowing the fuse the second you power it up.

1. Check the igniter. I have found many times that the ceramic plug (sometimes plastic) where the leads enter the heater cartridge can deteriorate and cause the leads to arc. Very common on igniters which are 3/8 inch in diameter. Which is most of them

The new replacement convection fan for all Breckwells works sometimes and not others.

The new replacement convection motor Breckwell is using has the crappiest lead terminals I have ever seen. Often one will fall out of its slot or break as they are about 1/16 of an inch wide. I drop some solder into the disconnects to sturdy the connections.

Bypassing the Lennox Whitfield Photo-eye Making your Lennox Whitfield work like a Whitfield Whitfield
For all of you that experience problem with the photo-eye...it can be replaced with a basic 140 ceramic snap switch. The mounting hole for the snap switch still exists on the combustion blower housing. Just remove the plate, install the switch, disconnect the leads to the photo-eye and ad 2 18" lengths of wire to connect to the snap switch. Works perfectly, though it is NOT endorsed by the factory nor UL tested.

Whitfield and Enviro auger plate bushing
If you have a mountain of pellet dust collecting under your auger motor, you need a new plate and bushing.

How to tell if your auger motor is on it's way out
Look at the coil on the motor. Most motors have cellophane tape covering the coil which is either clearish or white. ALL auger motors that quit working because the coil has been thermally shocked, the cellophane turns yellow. Though the motor may still work...the house power of a thermally shocked motor is decreased.

Stove shuts down and fire goes out
Look in the burn pot. If there are NO pellets in the burn pot you have too much draft or you have a feeding issue. If you have too many pellets in the burn pot (snuffed out fire) you have an air flow issue.

The glass inside my stove is black.
The stove and pipe needs a cleaning/plugged with ash.

The stove will not go into run mode.
Bad POF, proof of fire, switch.

Auger will not work on start up.
Dirty stove or bad Vac switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.