Rangeley Install - Pics!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MasterMech

Finally got the Rangeley installed yesterday. Snapped some photos of it's new, real home. Although I had considered installing it in the Garage!

1st pic - Here's what was lurking under the pedastal of my Earthstove! YIKES! it arced and tripped the breaker as soon as the installer and I lifted the old stove. That's 3 12ga solid wires e-taped together jammed in-between the concrete and galv. OAK ducting. Not even Romex. Should be in conduit no?

2nd pic - The old thimble bricked and mortared off. Old stove was sharing the masonry chimney with my oil boiler.

3rd pic - Bare hearth.

4th pic - Square support box and offset for the double wall pipe.

5th pic - Chimney outside.

Attachments

• DSC03291.jpg
    DSC03291.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 740
  • DSC03292.jpg
    DSC03292.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 730
  • DSC03293.jpg
    DSC03293.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 744
  • DSC03313.jpg
    DSC03313.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 720
  • DSC03297.jpg
    DSC03297.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 751
Part Two!

Before shot of the Earthstove and Shots of the new Rangeley.

Attachments

• DSC03300.jpg
    DSC03300.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 764
  • DSC03322.jpg
    DSC03322.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 727
  • DSC03323.jpg
    DSC03323.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 760
  • IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 930
That's a great looking install and a very nice place for a stove!

Well done, that's an awesome hearth set up. Looks all ready for FIRE!

Great looking stove and hearth.

That's a really nice looking install. Enjoy the new stove and have a great season!

Looks great! First burn reports will be interesting.

MasterMech said:
Part Two!

Before shot of the Earthstove and Shots of the new Rangeley.

Excellent looking hearth and stove! The lighting adds nice shadows to the stonework, nice touch!

Ray

Very nice hearth setup, and the Rangeley makes it look even better.
Just wondering if the old stove maybe had a hardwired blower or some other weird setup. Can you follow the wire to it's origination point?

It's funny what you will run into on a construction project. Glad nobody was hurt!

Your project and install are amazing. The stone work looks great and the Jotul fits
in like it belongs there. Nice work!

Welcome to the world of the Rangeley,just broke ours in.Tell me how it turns out.

How did you get the stone cleaned up like you did?

That is beautiful.

(Grumbling as I go to once again throw a beer can at my ugly hearth.)

Milt said:
You will need a nice chair someplace nearby, and a reading lamp and a dog.

Got 2 dogs to enjoy the fire with us!

Attachments

• DSC01702.jpg
    DSC01702.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 503
PapaDave said:
Very nice hearth setup, and the Rangeley makes it look even better.
Just wondering if the old stove maybe had a hardwired blower or some other weird setup. Can you follow the wire to it's origination point?

Bingo! It was a hardwired blower. There is a junction box under the room in the crawl space that I pulled the lousy wiring out of. Funny thing is the previous owner was a union electrician! Most of the wiring in this house is awesome and usually overkill but this one item was scary indeed.

Loco Gringo said:
How did you get the stone cleaned up like you did?

It's just the differences between scanning a glossy photo of my old setup, the photo was actually used in the real-estate listing when we bought the place, and digital shots of the hearth and stove as it is now. I wish I could take credit for it but all that cultured stone and lighting was already here when we moved in. My wife just rolled her eyes when I got excited about there being a stove here already but she is a believer now even after a rough winter last year of less than seasoned wood and a leaky, smokey stove.

BrotherBart - What can I say? LoL! :lol:

BrotherBart said:
That is beautiful.

(Grumbling as I go to once again throw a beer can at my ugly hearth.)

+1 on the stove and hearth - now get it fired-up, dusty and dirty!

BB - my guess is your hearth would look pretty good compared to my Englander set-up. I've got it backed up to light green unfinished walls of my newbasement. The foundation is styrofoam forms with concrete between. I had to consider clearances for both combustables and meltables.... ;)

Bill

Nice family, a wife to come home to and dogs to keep the feet warm at night.Oh,nice stove ;-)

Congrats!!! Everything looks great!!!

that stone probably heats up nice as well. !

Status
Not open for further replies.