Raplacement bar for my Stihl 034 (this should be easier)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim K in PA

Minister of Fire
My 16 year old bar is finally done. Worn out on both sides, sloping cuts, etc. I filed it flat(er) again, but the slop in the guide is too much. A new chain (but as old as this saw) did not help.

So - I went to the Oregon website and searched with their search function, and they don't list a 20" bar for my old Stihl 034. The chain I have been using is a 3/8", 72 drive link, .050. The 20" bar is probably overkill for most of what I am cutting, but I am used to it.

So is there an alternate to the dealer for a replacement bar? Or do I just go and pay the piper?

I am now cutting 6-10 cords/year (closer to 6 than 10) of a variety of scrounged fresh cut, dead fall, and whatever I can get for free. It is often dirty. Up until I got my GARN running this year I used the saw hardly at all. Now I need it to perform on a more regular basis. I actually enjoy keeping it sharp with the hand file, and I can clean up the 20" chain in under 10 minutes.

Oh - the chain I have used for the last 16 years is the "green" link Stihl safety chain. I have no qualms about moving on to something with better bit and no green link. ;-)

Thanks.

Go to a dealer. You won't save THAT much on line and you will have the right bar when you walk out. With any luck you'll do it again in 16 more years.

Wow Jim, welcome to 2009! 16 years with the same bar and safety chain!?!?!?

The 034 takes a very common bar (mount). The following Stihl models all use the same bar configuration:
Stihl 024, 026, 026P, 026 PRO, 028, 028 SUPER, 029, 030, 031, 032, 034, 036, 036P, 036 PRO, 036QS, 038, 038 SUPER MAGNUM, 039, 040, 041, 042, 044, 044M, 045, 046, 046M, 048, 056, 064, 066, 066 MAGNUM, E 15, E 20, E 220, E,220Q, MS 240, MS 260, MS 260 PRO, MS 270, MS 270C, MS 280, MS 290, MS 310, MS 360, MS 360 PRO, MS 360QS, MS 361, MS 380, MS 381, MS 390, MS 440, MS 440 MAGNUM, MS 441, MS 460 MAGNUM, MS 660, MS 661, MS 660M

Stihl bars are considered to be very good bars (probably second to Cannon, but they're very expensive)... but you'll pay the piper for Stihl stuff. Likewise with the Stihl chains. If you don't want to pay for Stihl products, there are plenty of aftermarket bars and chains that are of high quality. Here's a link to Bailey's, they are a good place to buy bars and chains from. These bars will all fit your saw:
http://www.baileysonline.com/search.asp?skw=SS50&PageNo=1&x=19&y=8

Regarding the chain(s), if you're cutting semi dirty wood, you probably want "Semi-Chisel" chain, it will hold an edge longer than full chisel (which tends to cut a little faster) in dirty wood. You don't want safety chain unless you're a beginner, or overly cautious. Oregon makes pretty good stuff for the $. Here's a link to the Oregon 72DP chain, which is a semi chisel cutter. Just find out how many links you need (given with the bar specs) and enter that in the quantity and they will make the chain for you. A 20" bar for your saw typically takes 72 links...
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=OR375+72DP&catID=766

Good luck with the new rig! :)

Thanks for the input guys.

BR - I would have gone to my local dealer first, but they are a half day side trip for me, so I was hoping to get something shipped. I go to them when I need higher dollar stuff (I bought my Stihl trimmer and backpack blower from them), but I consider chains and bars commodity/wear items (despite my long initial interval of use).

Wet1 - thanks for the link to Baileys. I ordered a pair of the 72DP chains and an Oregon bar, as well as some more files and a file/sharpening gauge. Under $100 for all of it shipped to my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.