Ratio of softwood to hardwood to keep on hand? **Update, checked out the tree, it's not walnut but a

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That 361 may have bit off more than it can chew! lol Great score!

Last time I seen an ash that big it ended up to be much less than it was thought to be it was hollow . Hope its not but that tree doesn't look the healthiest .

Backwoods Savage said:
rdust, it really does make a lot of us pretty sad to see these big beautiful old trees just die off. Sadly, if they do find a cure, it will be too late for our area.

On the other hand, there is a lot of wood in that tree! I am also happy I am not the one who has to take it down! It would be nice if out in the middle of a field, but not where it is standing now. Maybe Jay would like this type?

It would also be interesting to know just how much wood you get from that tree.

Yeah, it's going to be a job to get it down without taking something out. I wish I could take Monday off work just to watch the guys cut it. You know I'll be posting the amount of wood in it once I get it split and stacked up!

smokinjay said:
That 361 may have bit off more than it can chew! lol Great score!

You know it did! My dad and I were looking at it thinking "oh boy". Then my uncle said the guy cutting it said he would 1/4 out the trunk. I said sounds great, I'll take it all!(we said a lot) lol

webie said:
Last time I seen an ash that big it ended up to be much less than it was thought to be it was hollow . Hope its not but that tree doesn't look the healthiest .

The tree isn't healthy, it's dead. It fell victim to the EAB. I've never seen an ash this big so I have no idea what I'll get when it's cut open. As far as I'm concerned, if the trunk is hallow it'll just make dealing with it easier!

If the trunk is hollow it will probably also be full of carpenter ants, but I doubt it will be hollow.

Status
Not open for further replies.