Rats! Made another bad move...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your TAX DOLLARS at work

Yeah, now we are gonna need Rat social workers when they start lamenting that they spent their whole lives in a lab.....
>>

Actually, much of this research - long term - is helping with the mappings of the brain. We are only a few percent into the realm of understanding the brain, but things are now advancing quicker due to computers and MRI's, etc.

The eventual results will hopefully allow us to cure many ills. Regret would be very relevant to PTSD as well as a lot of other conditions.

Although I don't believe in reincarnation, I'd like to come back (with full memories) in 500 years and see what the medical establishment then thinks of our situation today. They'll probably call it "the late stone age of mental health".

Reactions: valley ranch
The University of Minnesota Medical School neurology department is a research and training school. They graduate some excellent doctors. I'm very grateful for their research. Pioneering research at schools like this saved my kid's life. What they learn here may one day save your life or that of someone close.

Actually, much of this research - long term - is helping with the mappings of the brain. We are only a few percent into the realm of understanding the brain, but things are now advancing quicker due to computers and MRI's, etc.

The eventual results will hopefully allow us to cure many ills. Regret would be very relevant to PTSD as well as a lot of other conditions.

PETs seem to take the lead in research due to the ability to determine areas of the brain that are active/inactive in different situations. Found this research very intriguing:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127888976

From the research of James Fallon and other psychologists/psychiatrists, we learn that biochemistry may play a large part in sociopathic and psychopathic behaviors but the nurture factor is also a powerful determinant. Fallon puts his own family history out there with great personal and career risk. I know my own views of the nature/nurture argument have changed over the years, especially with six children to watch grow. I still lean to a slight edge on genetics (60/40) but social supports can change lives... I worked with a disabled individual who had been sent to a psych ward due to aggression. After two years of documenting diet, routine and episodes of aggression (minor in the grand scheme of aggressive potentials), I had found and documented the pattern. He was experiencing complex partial seizures and the seizure medication he was on was the wrong one (for grand mals he had had previously). One small thing, missed by several others, has changed the quality of his life...

Edit: Another article on James Fallon research:
http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/01/life-as-a-nonviolent-psychopath/282271/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.