1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Rats! Made another bad move...

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by webbie, Jun 10, 2014.

1. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. johneh

johneh Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lanark Ontario Canada
    Your TAX DOLLARS at work
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Yeah, now we are gonna need Rat social workers when they start lamenting that they spent their whole lives in a lab.....
    >>

Actually, much of this research - long term - is helping with the mappings of the brain. We are only a few percent into the realm of understanding the brain, but things are now advancing quicker due to computers and MRI's, etc.

The eventual results will hopefully allow us to cure many ills. Regret would be very relevant to PTSD as well as a lot of other conditions.

Although I don't believe in reincarnation, I'd like to come back (with full memories) in 500 years and see what the medical establishment then thinks of our situation today. They'll probably call it "the late stone age of mental health".
    valley ranch likes this.
  4. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Science and discovery is rarely the straight line journey that you'd expect.
    woodgeek and Mrs. Krabappel like this.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    The University of Minnesota Medical School neurology department is a research and training school. They graduate some excellent doctors. I'm very grateful for their research. Pioneering research at schools like this saved my kid's life. What they learn here may one day save your life or that of someone close.
    Lake Girl and Adios Pantalones like this.
  6. valley ranch

valley ranch Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ranches in Sierra Nevada mts,Calif & Nevada
    In about 10 years might do.

I read this on another forum, there was a similar study done with plant fitted with sensors. There may be a thing or two that are more pressing or important.
  7. Lake Girl

Lake Girl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    PETs seem to take the lead in research due to the ability to determine areas of the brain that are active/inactive in different situations. Found this research very intriguing:
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127888976

From the research of James Fallon and other psychologists/psychiatrists, we learn that biochemistry may play a large part in sociopathic and psychopathic behaviors but the nurture factor is also a powerful determinant. Fallon puts his own family history out there with great personal and career risk. I know my own views of the nature/nurture argument have changed over the years, especially with six children to watch grow. I still lean to a slight edge on genetics (60/40) but social supports can change lives... I worked with a disabled individual who had been sent to a psych ward due to aggression. After two years of documenting diet, routine and episodes of aggression (minor in the grand scheme of aggressive potentials), I had found and documented the pattern. He was experiencing complex partial seizures and the seizure medication he was on was the wrong one (for grand mals he had had previously). One small thing, missed by several others, has changed the quality of his life...

Edit: Another article on James Fallon research:
    http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/01/life-as-a-nonviolent-psychopath/282271/
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  8. Lake Girl

Lake Girl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario