Rats?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

backpack09

Minister of Fire
Sep 10, 2007
Rochester, Mass
Rats, I've got Rats!

Dog loves to chase them, and they enjoy eating out of the chicken feeder.

I have used a bucket o' death, with poor results.

Does anyone have any other tricks besides poison? (the dog will catch and probably eat the rats)

I read something about plaster of paris and corn meal, but have not given it a try yet.

my buddy used to use a blow-gun on them when he worked for MTA down in NYC. Not that that would work for you I just thought it was a cool anecdote. LOL

Depending on how close to your neighbors you are a pellet gun may be just the thing.

Reactions: MasterMech
Boa constrictor. Rat snakes, milk snakes, black snakes......'er forgit it, I'll keep the rats.;sick (I hate snakes.)

Reactions: Eatonpcat
I have heard of good results with different types of food as bait. Especially if one could put make something that also has some yeast? It does skip me right now as to the best for swelling and plugging their system but if I think of it I'll post again.

These guys wipe out a ton of them with pellet guns. Neat scope footage.
That is the best damn hunting show I've ever seen. Laughed my ass off the whole time. ;lol Choot 'em! ::-)

backpack09, if you have a good sized family started then trapping/shooting will reduce but not eliminate the problem. Poison may be the only option. Read up on your options.

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
Reactions: Eatonpcat and ScotO
There is a stream near my house that flows to the Hudson River. Before I sealed up the basement and crawlspace we had some issues. Poison was the only effective solution. After a few days I was hearing from my neighbors that their rat problems stopped too. I wiped out the whole neighborhood and never saw or smelled a body.

There is a stream near my house that flows to the Hudson River. Before I sealed up the basement and crawlspace we had some issues. Poison was the only effective solution. After a few days I was hearing from my neighbors that their rat problems stopped too. I wiped out the whole neighborhood and never saw or smelled a body.

I heard you got rid of them pesky cats and a couple of bratty kids too! :p

Nope. The poison was in a place that only the rats could get to. Believe me I was very careful and only used the poison as a last resort. We lost a beloved family dog to a neighbor's carelessly placed rat poison. It was a slow and horrible death.

Reactions: Eatonpcat
Seems people are worried about the poisoned rats becoming food for dogs and other desirable critters and not the actual poison being consumed by the desirables.

>>

73.gif

Loon - that looks like something that I would rig up just for quality entertainment.;lol

Reactions: Eatonpcat and loon
Okay loon, what does that water baloon launcher have to do with rats?

Seems people are worried about the poisoned rats becoming food for dogs and other desirable critters and not the actual poison being consumed by the desirables.

Back when I lived in FL, had an osprey crash-land in my yard after catching himself a poisoned rat. It was heartbreaking.

Poison only makes sense if you feel that getting rid of the pests is worth indiscriminately losing some predators.

Status
Not open for further replies.